"Show recordings" redirects me to skype (unwanted)

I have just installed OBS (27.2.3) on a new laptop from the Xubuntu 22 repositories. I copied the few personalized settings from my desktop installation (OBS 25.0.3 from Xubuntu 20 repository), this includes an output directory of ~/temp/OBS with a fixed filename/type of test.mp4.
When I press File->Show recordings on the laptop, this fires skype which is absolutely unwanted (the same occurs in Show settings folder and Show profile folder). On the desktop Show recordings fires the "OBS file manager" which is the correct behaviour.
Note skypeforlinux is NOT running by default on eithger machine (I use it very seldom). Note also I run without a desktop environment (I use fvwm as window manager). Finally note the recording is saved in the correct place and is fine when viewed outside OBS

AaronD

That's weird. And you're still out of date. The distros' repos usually are, especially for a conservative one like *buntu.

Install OBS's official PPA, using the sticky thread in this forum, and then the normal update will get the *actual* latest stable version, which is 29.1.1 at the time of this writing.

BUT BE CAREFUL with this particular update! v27 is the last to use the old graphics framework, so updating across the v27/v28 boundary will break a lot of plugins. They'll fail to load, which means that OBS doesn't save their settings when it then closes. Then they're gone forever.

To avoid this, backup *everything* first, using each plugin's Export or similar function, or a screenshot if necessary, then update both OBS and all of the plugins, *then* start OBS for the first time after updating everything, and see what survived. Use the backups if necessary, to put the settings back in.

If you're using WebSockets specifically, that function is built-in now. No plugin for that anymore...but it works differently from the old way, so anything that talks to OBS via WebSockets will have to update too. I think the old plugin has one final update before being abandoned, specifically to make the old way work on v28, but it's anyone's guess how long it's going to last. You're really supposed to use the new way.