Bug Report Severe Xorg breakage issues (Solved)

dragondude

this is for amd gpu users only on ubuntu 16.04 deinterlacing destroys xorg what happend on my machine is it crashed the OS then went into a terminal log and kept looping ring 3 and 0 breakages in radeon xorg i had to restart with ctrl alt delete but yeah this is a severe bug because right now amd users are stuck with these drivers on ubuntu 16.04 if i figure out anything i will post a response here

dragondude

what worked for me was installing the mesa drivers from here https://launchpad.net/~oibaf/+archive/ubuntu/graphics-drivers deinterlacing and everything like resizing without making the video window disappear worked after installing that

if you don't want to scroll down to find the ppa on that webpage here you go

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

sudo apt-get update

(and only install mesa drivers if you have an AMD gpu that is not compatible with AMDGPUPRO drivers)
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-GPU-PRO-Linux-Beta-Driver–Release-Notes.aspx

scroll down to see if the gpu you have is on that list of supported gpus if not then proceed with mesa driver install

dragondude

and i just wanted to add upon testing in linux mint in order to install the mesa drivers from that PPA you have to enable level 4 updates to show in the update manager basically click on the update shield then click edit then preferences then click on the levels tab and then check both boxes were it says level 4 and you will get a list of updates for the mesa driver be aware though enabling level 4 updates may show other updates so be aware of what all you are installing
alternatively you could just install the mesa drivers from synaptic package manager but this forum post is focused on the easy routes

dragondude

you can also use this more recent PPA which tweaks and changes a few thing's from the original PPA i posted

https://launchpad.net/~paulo-miguel-dias/+archive/ubuntu/mesa

same stuff as the post up there level 4 for linux mint normal software updater for other ubuntu based distros

PPA(copy and paste in terminal) again if using linux mint make sure level 4 updates are set to show or you won't see the drivers this PPA provides everything else just check for updates as you normally would

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:paulo-miguel-dias/mesa

sudo apt-get update

I have recently tested *ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates* it does not solve the resizing issue it seems to be a bug within obs when using mesa drivers although some change in padokas ppa removes the issue after installing his drivers maybe it could be a specific mesa setting that makes it possible to resize the obs preview window without it vanishing i will need to dig up more info before i can accurately say what the setting that ppa does to fix the preview resizing issue is as i am trying to work on a way to not have this issue in ubuntu based distros with stable mesa vs telling people to just install padokas unstable drivers

Last edited:

dragondude

i did some testing in antergos arch linux and if you are using mesa drivers due to the gpu you have most likely not being compatible with amdgpupro drivers or you just like open source drivers period you can fix this issue doing the following

Open a terminal then copy and paste this

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf

then after that it will most likely say new file
in this new file copy and paste this

Section "Device"
Identifier "Radeon"
Driver "radeon"
Option "TearFree" "on"
EndSection

Then once you have copy and pasted it hit CTRL X do not press them at the same time hit CTRL first then X then after that press Y then hit enter

then restart the computer you should now be able to deinterlace without crashing and resize the preview window without it disappearing

one quick note also in the radeon conf file you don't have to include all those options like tearfree i simply chose those as a basic setup point if you look on the wiki page were i got these directions from you can also see other options https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI#Configuration the reason i removed the glamor setting is because it's enabled by default now but it's up to you what features you enable at the end of the day

hope this helps you antergos users out there i dunno about manjaro i imagine it's a similar setup but im unsure

Last edited: