Question / Help Screen tearing OBS preview

phpworm

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon 64-bit version 2.2.16

I purchased a new graphics card (Nvidia) in order to get OBS working on my system, and I initially had some screen tearing. I fixed the problem by adding the following line to my /etc/environment file:

Code:
CLUTTER_PAINT=disable-clipped-redraws:disable-culling

That solved my day to day tearing problems, but now when I launch OBS the tearing persists in the preview screen (before I even hit the record or stream button) and carries over into whatever I record or stream.

Is this a setting in OBS I can fix or is it a setting with my graphics card? I'm including a screenshot of my OpenGL settings:

NyWIMAa.png

Osirez

Does the output screen tear? By output I mean does it tear on Twitch or wherever you stream?

phpworm

Yes, here is a screenshot of the tearing from a past broadcast:

XOjYEVy.png

There is a transparent line running across the image (showing the desktop) several pixels thick, almost every 15-30 seconds lines like these flicker all over the screen.

phpworm

Another update in my attempt to solve this, after a lot more searching I found a suggestion over on the Mint forums.

I opened up my NVIDIA Server Settings, selected the Display Configuration and clicked the option to save to a configuration file. This created: /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I then edited the file to modify the following line:

Code:
#Option  "metamodes" "DP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
Option  "metamodes" "DP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0 { ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }"

I basically commented out a line, then modified it by adding the "{ ForceFullCompositionPipeline = On }" bit, then restarted the computer.

After this change I can open OBS and all tearing within the preview appears to be gone. I don't plan on streaming again until next week so unless I encounter anymore problems I will assume this is resolved!

i had a major screen tearing issue myself with Xubuntu 14.04.2, i tried every tip that i've found on the internet and ended up just using compton with minimal settings. here's my compton start command if you so choose to check it out. i added a start script to my startup apps within Xubuntu
Code:
compton --backend glx --vsync opengl-swc --detect-rounded-corners --detect-client-opacity

bitboy

Hi there,

had the same problem with Linuxmint 17.1 64Bit NVIDIA GT 610 graphics card. In NVIDIA Settings i disabled "Allow flipping" and the problem was gone.