Safe Margins and Rulers (Simulation included)

Jaris GV

Hi folks.
What about a native tool or extra plugin to display SAFE MARGINS and RULERS in editing mode?
It would be something like that:

Attachments

• OBS-Suggestion-Rulers.jpg
    OBS-Suggestion-Rulers.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 1,068
  • OBS-Suggestion-SafeMargins.jpg
    OBS-Suggestion-SafeMargins.jpg
    418.4 KB · Views: 1,020

archz2

Thanks. Sorry for replying late. I totally forgot that I had asked this question and today I felt the need of the overlay again today.
Actually what I'm trying to find is safe margins should overlay on my actual windows, not inside OBS studio.

For example a free screen recording software, ShareX gives this overlay when I'm actually doing work in whatever window I want. HereI was scrolling through youtube and I could actually see in realtime what area is being captured in the screen recording.

1670503990405.png

AaronD

what I'm trying to find is safe margins should overlay on my actual windows, not inside OBS studio.

For example a free screen recording software, ShareX gives this overlay when I'm actually doing work in whatever window I want. HereI was scrolling through youtube and I could actually see in realtime what area is being captured in the screen recording.

View attachment 89531
You want to draw on the display, to indicate what's being captured? I think a good proxy already exists for that:
  • For a Display Capture, it's the entire display. The border that you're looking for is made of physical plastic. ;-)
  • For a Window Capture, it's that window. Your border there is the window decoration. If you don't know which window, then you have either an attentiveness problem or a situational-awareness problem. Is *that* what you're trying to solve?
Or do you want a visual indication of where you've cropped a source? That seems easy at first, but as a programmer myself (other things, not OBS directly), it strikes me as exactly the sort of thing that will turn into Pandora's Box in a matter of hours. Do you want to include off-canvas? Rotation? Other sources overlapping? Etc.
Given the free-form nature of OBS's scenes, any number of things can factor into whether a given pixel ends up being visible in the stream or recording, and all of those things must be accounted for explicitly and back-calculated to produce an accurate overlay. How much effort is it worth putting into that, and what happens when (not if) it's wrong?