Running our Sound System into OBS

jennthurman

Hello! Our church is planning on going live in the next few weeks using OBS. We would like to run our sound system (Allen & Heath SQ6) through OBS for the best quality sound. It seems like I should just be able to run a cable from the mixer to the computer but it didn't work when we tried it on Tuesday. Since this is all very new to me, I'm wondering if I didn't set it up correctly in OBS? Or perhaps it's more complicated than just running a USB Type A to Type B cable from the mixer to the computer?

VSW

Hi,

We were able to take the sound from our church audio from a Mackie Dl 1608 mixer (analog audio output only, but controlled with an iPad) to a M-Audio 192|8 digital interface to convert the analog to a digital signal with USB C output to OBS. Have also used the USB A port to our computer.. We selected Audio Input Capture as the source and then added M-Audio as the device. In Audio Input Capture, we do have to re-select the M-Audio as the audio device in properties each time we reconnect.

In Windows 10, we also installed the M-Audio 192|8 driver and then went to sound settings in the Control Panel and set M-Audio 192 as the default device for recording and disabled the computer mic as a recording device.

One final note, we are planning to use Dante (over ethernet) using a Dante Via device to take our audio to our network cable and with our planned move to PTZ cameras with PoE+, we hope to have only one ethernet cable to plug into our computer for audio and video. We will see how that works.

The sound for our live streaming is just so much better taking it directly from our audio system as set out above.

Hope that assists.

bvZed

I run an Allen Heath Qu-24 so I'll assume there is considerable overlap with your SQ. For the SQ to show up in windows sound control you need the SQ/ASIO WDM driver from the AH website. Then you need the Andersama OBS-ASIO plugin available at github.
Once connected, you have to route the in/out to USB-B in the SQ. I use a seperate mix (stereo 9-10) because the LR mix is worse than useless for the stream. For videos played on the stream and monitored/projected in house I route the USB to stereo 1 input.
I used to take the easy route, running a mix out to a Focusrite audio interface, picked up in OBS audio sources, but every now and then the focusrite would drop the connection. Taking the trouble to set the Qu routing is well worth the effort as the AH driver has been utterly reliable. The audio level from the AH is quite low as it was intended for connection to a DAW with its own preamp/gain, but OBS has a gain setting in Audio Filters to take care off that.