Question / Help Running multiple instances of OBS like 6+ at once

gzcwnk

So I have been asked by my shooting club to see if I can stream multiple electronic targets at once. So 5, separate video streams and one combo stream.

Since Linux has multiple desktops in theory I can run an OBS instance in each one.

The Q is while in theory I have the desktop real estate can OBS work like this? if so what about CPU and ram needs? 1 CPU core per desktop? 6 or even 8 cores in no biggee these days. Or it might be cheaper just to run a cheap laptop for each? what would be the minimum spec? for a low frame rate (10fps) i5 at 3ghz?

I will be running rtmp servers to offload uploading to remote sites like twitch or something.

Scaleability, if this worked then maybe stream 21 of them! (for an international event).

Harold

Given the amount of GPU resources, you'll be pushing it if you can get 2-3 instances per dedicated video card, and that's only if you have 40 or more pci-e lanes in the system.

Running a dedicated i7 Nuc per instance would be far better, or just get 5-8 SDI connected cameras connected to a single instance of OBS using a decklink quad2.