Question / Help Running in Portable mode.

Well my original question was going to be how to put OBS Studio into portable mode because "-portable" didn't work. Found out that "--portable" was what I needed to use.

I guess my question now is, if I set up a streaming thumb drive, how do I go about updating the version of OBS that's on there while maintaining the scenes, profiles and settings? Can I put the zip of the new version on the thumb drive and just copy over the "config" folder of the previous version? (this is assuming that all the images and stuff are also on the thumb drive)

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
You can also place a file called "portable_mode.txt" in the root OBS folder to trigger Portable Mode.

Yes, you can just unzip a new OBS Studio zip over the existing folder. Since the zip files do not contain a config folder, that folder is safe.

Keep in mind that if the drive letter of your thumb drive changes, then the paths to your sources might become broken.

You can also place a file called "portable_mode.txt" in the root OBS folder to trigger Portable Mode.

Yes, you can just unzip a new OBS Studio zip over the existing folder. Since the zip files do not contain a config folder, that folder is safe.

Keep in mind that if the drive letter of your thumb drive changes, then the paths to your sources might become broken.
Thanks. Yeah I went in and changed the thumb drive to Z:. It would seem that every computer it would be plugged into would also have to change the thumb drive to Z:, correct?