Question / Help Running 2 Instances of OBS

john5788

I'm trying to run 2 instances of OBS so I can stream one scene and locally record another. My stream scene has overlays and a facecam that I do not want to have in my local recording. I find there is a problem with Xcomposite capture locked to the first instance of OBS so that I cannot use the second instance to record anything. The output is just black and the console output on the second instance repeats this:

Code:
error: glCopyImageSubData failed, glGetError returned 0x502
error: device_copy_texture (GL) failed

Is this normal? Is there any sort of workaround for what I am trying to accomplish? Maybe stream to another instance of OBS on another computer/VM and have that OBS put together my overlays?

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Yes, that's normal. There's not a good workaround for what you're trying to accomplish right now, unfortunately.

john5788

Thanks for the quick response. Can OBS use RTSP as a source? Perhaps I can stream raw gameplay to an nginx server with RTSP module loaded and use that stream to build my overlays? Just trying to think of other ways to do this

Fenrir

Forum Admin
It can, yes, through media source or VLC source. If you run it through nginx-rtmp, you wouldn't even have to run two instances as you could record directly from nginx itself.

john5788

Thanks, I got this working and did a test run tonight with success.

One instance of OBS is streaming out to an nginx-rtmp server and recording locally to disk using NVENC CQP25 1080p60. The second instance of OBS is streaming out to Twitch using the RTMP server as a source along with all my overlays and facecam using x264 encoder 720p60 @ 3000k CBR.

Only issue I have is the latency from the nginx server. It is about 1100ms and I have to add the same delay as a filter for my webcam on the 2nd instance of OBS that sends out to Twitch. Otherwise my VOIP audio (part of RTMP stream) does not sync with webcam video feed.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
If you need to delay your audio sources, go to Edit -> Advanced Audio Properties and adjust the Sync Offset (ms) field. If you need to delay your video sources, add a Video Delay (Async) filter. Note that Display, Window, and Game Capture cannot be delayed.

john5788

Fenrir, one more question regarding "Media Source" source.

I am noticing the audio is a little bit glitchy with this method of input using an RTMP stream. This bug report summarizes what I am experiencing: https://obsproject.com/mantis/view.php?id=450

I do not see a VLC option out of the box and I don't see any plugins for OBS Studio Linux for VLC Source. Is this something I automatically get once I compile/install VLC on my system?

Edit: I compiled/installed VLC on my system, but the plugin was still not loading/present. I looked at the cmakefile and it seems like the detection of VLC is done at that level. Recompiling obs-studio from source and installing allowed the vlc-video-plugin to be built and installed.

Last edited: