Run as root or no?

incith

I've just tried 3 different methods of installing OBS on Ubuntu 24.03 or whatever the latest is.

Adding the ppa repository, compiling the portable version (this was a nightmare), and flatpak. It's like between all 3 I get different versions of working features.

Pretty much unanimously tho I cannot get custom docks working unless I run as root and I can only get the Connect to Twitch button on I think the flatpak version, also only when I run as root.

I literally ran a for loop to add my user to every single group on the system just to see if it was a permissions issue.

I'm at a loss..mainly the connect to twitch button missing is the worst. Unless I run as root. But I'm tired of typing flatpak run com.obsproject.Studio.

Is there something I'm missing to allow regular users to have the same features on obs as when running as root?

Tuna

Custom docks, including the Twitch login are not working when running a Desktop under Wayland. When run as root is is probably running under XWayland as a side effect, but which is also not supported. Start your session with Xorg instead of Wayland and you will have these features.

AaronD

The equivalent on Windoze, running as Admin, is only recommended because Windoze's permission system is stoopid. It's often the only (practical) way to get access to things on that system. On anything else, with sensible permissions, DON'T RUN AS ROOT!

Running as root/admin is a security risk. The benefit is that it lets you "just do stuff" without confirmation. The problem is that it lets you "just do stuff" without confirmation! No difference between you and a compromised app or plugin.