Rumux to audio only WAV

drinkwithrick

Hi, I redistribute my weekly video livestream as a podcast and work with WAV files for higher quality editing and final mastering before converting to mp3 for distribution. I have been using VLC to convert the mkv files into audio only files for this, but the WAV conversion produces terrible artifacts, so I have to convert to Ogg Vorbis, then convert from that to WAV in Audacity, which adds more steps and still gives me an occasional random loud pop on or other noise on the audio track.

It would be great if OBS had an option to remux the mkv into a clean 16-bit or higher WAV for audio only distribution. Surely I am not the only content producer who would greatly appreciate that.

Thanks!

Rick

rockbottom

With Avidemux you can save the audio track(s) from your recording with no re-encode.

General
Complete name : K:2021-03-17_Live_Set 1_21-02-23_1080p_H265_PCM_Master_test.wav
Format : Wave
File size : 1.42 GiB
Duration : 1 h 28 min
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 2 304 kb/s

Audio
Format : PCM
Format settings : Little / Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 2 304 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Stream size : 1.42 GiB (100%)

Last edited:

qhobbes

Is the source audio in the MKV file AAC, WAV or something else? You should be able to remux it with VLC. Converting to WAV shouldn't produce artifacts unless things like channels, sample rate and bit depth are different from the source.

drinkwithrick

I appreciate the responses, but the point of the question is, why there is no option to remux the audio directly to WAV through OBS, and can one be added to eliminate the need to do all these conversions with third party apps.

drinkwithrick

With Avidemux you can save the audio track(s) from your recording with no re-encode.

General
Complete name : K:2021-03-17_Live_Set 1_21-02-23_1080p_H265_PCM_Master_test.wav
Format : Wave
File size : 1.42 GiB
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 2 304 kb/s

Audio
Format : PCM
Format settings : Little / Signed
Codec ID : 1
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 2 304 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Stream size : 1.42 GiB (100%)

I think you missed the point of my post. I'm not looking for other third party options. I know they are out there. I would like the ability to remux to a Wave file using OBS.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Because OBS is a program that focuses on video content, not audio-only content, and free and open source tools for doing what you're asking for already exist.

Other than convenience, why do you want to do your remuxing through OBS?

rockbottom

I think you missed the point of my post. I'm not looking for other third party options. I know they are out there. I would like the ability to remux to a Wave file using OBS.

Nope, I just knew what you were asking for is more than likely NEVER going to happen.