Question / Help Routing sound from my Saffire to OBS.

Trinder

Hi, I am trying to stream some mixing from my technics turntables through my Saffire pro dsp24. I use a MacBook Pro 2012. I currently have sound going through the Saffire and into the Mac. I can see the levels in the Sound preferences and on the VRM for the Saffire. I have downloaded Blackhole 16ch and watched the video but still nothing. Any advice would be greatly received. I'm clearly missing something.

Trinder

Hi, I am trying to stream some mixing from my technics turntables through my Saffire pro dsp24. I use a MacBook Pro 2012. I currently have sound going through the Saffire and into the Mac. I can see the levels in the Sound preferences and on the VRM for the Saffire. I have downloaded Blackhole 16ch and watched the video but still nothing. Any advice would be greatly received. I'm clearly missing something.
I can't seem to edit posts! I forgot to say I use macOS Catalina

Trinder

Do I need to use black hole? I notice in the settings I can select the Saffire, nothing happens either way. I can get sound through the mic. I can get iTunes to stream to OBS. (I wish I could edit these posts.)

Narcogen

Firewire audio and OBS are problematic.

LoopBack might help you if your problem is that you can't select the tracks you want from the Saffire. BlackHole offers similar capabilites to iShowU and SoundFlower but I do not know if it does manual channel routing from hardware devices like LoopBack.

Trinder

No couldn't find anyway of manually routing in blackhole. I'll download Loopback and have a play with it. From the website looks like it might. It's a bit pricey, but if it works, then it works. Thanks

Trinder

One of the many things that are confusing me is OBS does "see" the Saffire in its various pulldown menus but can't "hear" it. I was assuming that it wouldn't see it at all

Trinder

I have also tried running from Terminal, same issues.

Narcogen: You said firewire and OBS. Would I do better if I used a USB device instead?

Trinder

Well you got me thinking about the USB connection on the front of my old Vestax mixer, never found it worked for anything else before and have always had my decks plugged into my Saffire. So I plugged it in this morning, changed the source in OSB to USB codec put a record on the turntable and the VU meter started bouncing, no need for any 3rd party app to link everything; I did run OSB via terminal so don't know if that has anything to do with it, still nothing threw the FW but not an issue now. All I now need to do is to get video from my DSLR for which I am awaiting for a mini HDMI cable to arrive.

Many thanks for your thoughts, it really helped me. I didn't want to go out and buy more kit or software.

(I notice an edit link has arrived at the bottom of my messages, that wasn't there last night) :)

Narcogen

3rd party app is only needed for desktop audio-- audio from a local program. For external devices it's not necessary unless you need channel routing fromi a multichannel device.