Question / Help Resolution looks awful no matter my settings

IsaacGutierrez

I’ve tried all the different combination of settings the internet has to offer and still no matter what I do the resolution of my recordings look far worse than my computers display and the colors are dimmed for some reason. I’m on a 2018 MacBook Pro. I’ve tried adjusting everything but nothing seems to work. All I’m trying to do is record my display, which seems like it should be pretty simple. I’ve tried having my canvas size and output resolution both on 1440 x 900 and then I tried moving both to 1920 x 1080 and just editing out the black bars, but the quality looks basically exactly the same. Is this just what the recordings look like on Mac and it doesn’t get any more clear? I assume not because the YouTube tutorials I’ve watched have looked far better quality than I have been able to get with the same settings. If anyone knows why I can’t seem to get high resolution recordings please let me know.

Narcogen

Include a log file if you have a problem: here's how

What is it you're trying to record? Just about any screen with small text on it is going to look blurry if you have to scale it, and if your display's native aspect ratio isn't 16:9 then yes letter or pillarboxing will be involved.

If possible you'll want to keep your canvas and output resolutions as close to your display's native resolution as possible and not scale; unfortunately retina macs have default (unscaled) resolutions so high that this makes it problematic for OBS to perform acceptably.