Question / Help Recover video after OBS stuck on "Stopping Recording..."

theonlygusti

I am macOS 10.14.2, normally OBS (19.0.2) works perfectly, but extremely rarely after I press "Stop Recording" it gets stuck on "Stopping Recording..." seemingly forever.

In the past I just force quit OBS, but the recording is permanently gone.

This time I recorded something I care about a lot, and I would like to get the recording.

I am scared of force quitting OBS I still have it open right now.

How do I get the video?

(And how do I stop this from happening in future?)

Narcogen

Once that happens, the recording is most likely not available.

If you're recording in MP4 format, it is definitely not available.

OBS 19 is really old, the latest is 22.0.3, the latest version of which includes Mac-specific fixes.

Without a logfile from a recording/streaming session, preferably from one where the problem occurs and more information about your setup, it's hard to say why that is happening and therefore advise how to prevent it, but the usual reason is just that the task being given to OBS is too difficult and this is causing OBS to freeze; if you're on a laptop it could also be that the CPU is overheating to the point that MacOS is throttling the CPU.

Narcogen

Apple has been known to be conservative in letting fans spin up and sometimes too eager to throttle, which is why I use MacsFanControl.

That said, that may just mean that this is not your problem, but it's not really possible to speculate further without a logfile.

My only other suggestion would be to install the latest version, make a backup of your ~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio folder that contains your scene collections and profiles and then delete it, resulting in a clean install of OBS.