Recordings Stuttering! Please Help!

Alvarezzz

Hello everyone,
I am having some trouble recording gameplays on OBS. I’ve already posted here but didn't get any help so I'm trying again..
I will try to put as many info I can here but let me know if I miss something.

The problem:
All my gameplay recordings are getting stuttering (or fame drops?) and no matter what, I cannot find out why..
I believe my PC is strong enough to record any game at 1080p 60Fps but even at games that don't demand much from my PC, I still get stuttering at some parts of the game.
Every game runs perfectly fine on my PC, it’s the end file (recorded video) that has problems. I dont get any frame drop during gameplay at all.

My PC specs are:
GPU: RTX 3060 Ti
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X
RAM: 2x 8GB (16GB Total) DDR4 3000Mhz CL15
PSU: EVGA 750w

I use two monitors, my main is 144Hz and my secondary is 60Hz but I always leave them both at 60Hz.
Monitor 1 - The one I run the same - Asus 23.8” 144hz
Monitor 2 - I leave OBS open there - LG 23.8” 60Hz

Windows Settings:
Game Mode - ON
Game Bar - OFF

Obs Settings:
- Output > Recording > Advanced:
Recordings Settings.jpg
Enconder Options.png
Encoder Settings.png

Even though these are the current settings now, I’ve tried multiple different settings in OBS.
Changing from CBR to CQP made no difference at all, changing ‘presets’ and marking on/off in ‘Look-ahead’ and ‘Psycho Visual Tuning’ also made no difference.

- Video:
Video.png

- Advanced:
Advanced.png

NVIDIA Settings:
Nvidia Settings 1.png

Nvidia Settings 2.png

Nvidia Settings 3.png

More Info:
- I record in MKV and remux to MP4.
- I don't stream at all. I only use OBS for recording.

I always close all programs running on my PC, I only use:
- Logitech Capture (For webcam)
- NVIDIA Broadcast (For mic)

I will record some gameplays and post logs later today.

Please any help is greatly appreciated, I'm having this problem for months already.

koala

According to your logfile, there are no lost or lagged frames during recording. Are you sure the lags are in the video file? Try a different media player, for example vlc, and see if the issue is with recording or with playback.

Alvarezzz

Yes, I tried on VLC and the video still lags.

After uploading on Youtube the video still lagging/stuttering so I believe it's the video file.

Alvarezzz

According to your logfile, there are no lost or lagged frames during recording. Are you sure the lags are in the video file? Try a different media player, for example vlc, and see if the issue is with recording or with playback.
I watched the video on VLC and noticed that even though it still stutters/lags, sometimes when I go back and watch again that same part it plays fine and no lag. It's kinda random (if it lags or not) but some parts of the video stutters 100% of the time.
Could it be a playback issue? If so, do you know how can I fix it?

koala

If the same part of a video stutters and with the next playback doesn't stutter, there is some issue with playback.
Verify this video by single stepping frame by frame and verify all frames are different and no duplicate frames exist.

Alvarezzz

I made a copy of the video file and moved it to another PC and it still stuttering/lagging there, it also stutters on Youtube (only my videos, all others are fine).
Shouldn't it be stuttering only when watching locally in my PC?

koala

If it's always stuttering at the same places, it's in the video, so the recording process created it.

koala

Seems so. Although there are no lost/lagged frames in your log, so these seem not generated within the capture of OBS but may be just no rendered by the game. Which means GPU overload, however OBS would suffer as well in this case, and there is no indication about that in the log. Make sure your drive D: is an internal drive and has sufficient performance. Recording to an external drive is known to produce lost frames.

Joey_Spacebar

I'm experiencing the same thing. Running a 1080Ti and a 5800x and recording to a Western Digital SN750 Black NVME. I've noticed that the CPU usage figure in the bottom right will never go over 2.0% despite there being plenty of headroom on both the CPU and GPU. No thread over 65% and GPU usage is also under 70%. Just random frame lockups with no error message or anything.

Alvarezzz

Seems so. Although there are no lost/lagged frames in your log, so these seem not generated within the capture of OBS but may be just no rendered by the game. Which means GPU overload, however OBS would suffer as well in this case, and there is no indication about that in the log. Make sure your drive D: is an internal drive and has sufficient performance. Recording to an external drive is known to produce lost frames.

I downloaded CrystalDiskMark to test my HDD speed and this was the result:

HDD Speed Test.jpg

Tbh Im not sure what I'm looking here, could you tell me if this is the problem?

Should I upgrade to a SDD?

I'm not using an external hdd, only internal.