Question / Help Recordings have FPS issues across multiple games

Sinbeast

Hi OBS forums!

I've just switched to OBS from playstv recorder for more customization and eventual streaming however, i'm having some issues with my recordings coming out with stutter/fps lag.

Read through a bunch of threads to troubleshoot but i've not had much luck - one recommendation to update to 2.1.2 seemed to have helped a bit but it's still choppy - happy to provide any logs/examples if needed.

My specs:
i7 7700 3.6ghz
16gb ram
NVIDIA 1070gtx

I've tested videos with wizard setup, CBR 20,000 - 50,000, simple "indistinguishable" & "high qual" none with smooth playback although the best i've got so far is below but playback still feels like it's at around 20fps

Thanks in advance for the help!

1528607440605.png

1528607547015.png

Sinbeast

Hey, thanks for the heads up.

I did actually read your advice from another thread & tried it, unfortunately still choppy :/

Would it help if i uploaded an example?

-Sin

Sinbeast

You've tried all the encoder options while on indistinguishable?

I just tested all 3 options one after another, NVEC is by far the smoothest, followed by x264 low cpu usage and then x264 which just completely shreds my FPS. The other two FPS in-game is fine but the recording feels more like 20-40 FPS.

I'm testing with Fortnite on 144 capped FPS.

Cheers
Sin

Harold

Then you may also need to turn down some of the graphics quality in the games you're having trouble with.

Sinbeast

Okay, so i've maintained the nvec encoder option, 60fps at native 1920x1080 resolution/scaling & turned down (literally) all the gfx on Fortnite and the gameplay is definitely smoother than when i started testing, I think it's close to 60fps - my eyes trick me somewhat after playing on 144fps so long. To test accurately i was playing with capped 60 fps while watching a recording and they were similar.

I would've thought that a 1070gtx would comfortably record Fortnite with better quality graphics? Before testing I already had everything set to the lowest possible with the exception of "view distance" "effects" and "textures" which were all set to highest. Dropping the 'view distance' made by far the biggest impact on stability.

I'm going to resume testing again in an hours or so & will upload a few videos for 3rd party input as to whether the frames are comfortably 60/s or whether there's something else at play as well.

Thank you for your help thus far!

Cheers
Sin