Bug Report Recordings come out very dark

keybounce

A test recording of a minecraft caving session showed that the recordings come out very dark. The bright areas are just fine; the dark shadows go too dark.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Try changing the color range in advanced settings. Certain media programs won't properly decode full range and it'll make everything look darker than it should be. At least that's what I'm guessing the problem is.

keybounce

Yes, given a choice between "partial" and "full", I'll take "full". Maybe these need a better labeling/explanation of what they do?

EDIT: Nv12? 1420? 1444? "RGB", if it means what I think it means (uncorrected, uncalibrated raw numbers from your display) is probably not what I want.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
The defaults should be NV12 color format, 709 YUV color space, and Partial YUV color range. If you've changed any of those, try putting them back.

keybounce

So, after reading those articles:
1. 601 v 709: 709 seems to be designed for HD signals, significantly higher samples per line / more lines. Does this mean that for an 854x480 output, I'd be better off with 601?

2. "This indicates that U and V samples are only taken on every fourth line of the original image. Since the horizontal sampling period is also 4, a single U and a single V sample are taken for each square block of 16 image pixels." -- so a single block of 16 pixels has only one point of color information, and 16 points of lightness information? ... explains why I see blocking effects in lower-bandwidth data? (or something else?)

3. I still don't understand partial color range vs full color range.