Question / Help Recordings choppy but games are smooth

RickySpanish

So, spent a day and a half looking into this and there doesn't seem to be any particular reason from my knowledge that the recordings would turn out choppy and glitchy but my games are smooth?

I'm using an i5-4460 and R9 380 2GB with 12GB of RAM, if any of that really matters.

Attachments

• 2016-07-05 11-59-08.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 57
for 99% you have vsync disabled.
man there should be one big red sticky post that you need vsync enabled. its like 5 posts a day or more

also 1080p60 with 2500 bitrate will look like crap. make it 720p30 on video tab

RickySpanish

I can't find those settings, but I do have my encoder set to the AMD VCE in Output>Advanced, and setting my bitrate to 13000 helped a LOT with how it looked and the choppyness of the recording, but the quality still isn't quite there and I increased it to 15000 and the recording got super choppy again, though it looked a lot better.

RickySpanish

Well, wasn't able to get Quicksync going but the only way I was able to keep it consistent was to use VCE. But it's still choppy in the recording on most games(BF4, GTA V, ARMA, Skyrim, Sniper Elite) and the only game I was able to record that stayed smooth was Minecraft. VSYC on on everything,

Well, wasn't able to get Quicksync going but the only way I was able to keep it consistent was to use VCE. But it's still choppy in the recording on most games(BF4, GTA V, ARMA, Skyrim, Sniper Elite) and the only game I was able to record that stayed smooth was Minecraft. VSYC on on everything,
im not familiar with VCE but i see a lot of problems with it on forums.
144hz monitor?
using gamecapture or some other method?
what happend with qsv? there was no multi monitor option in bios as described in article?

ggmaboy

im not familiar with VCE but i see a lot of problems with it on forums.
144hz monitor?
using gamecapture or some other method?
what happend with qsv? there was no multi monitor option in bios as described in article?
can having a 60hz monitor cause the recording to lag a little?

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
A 60 Hz monitor is more ideal for vsync because the frame rate is limited to 60 instead of 144, which most video cards have trouble driving.

no, it would add one more trouble to take care of
60hz+vsync results in material ready for smooth encoding because you need 30 or 60 for final clip. with 144 you cant divide it easily to get 30/60 fps for recording or stream - it will result in stutter, so with 144 monitor its best to just set desktop refresh to 60 and forget about 144.
even more fun starts when using tv as monitor which introduces fractional fps like 59,94 and 29,97 (even when you set 60 for desktop and have a hdmi tv, the driver will not respect desktop setting and fall back to fractional numbers whitch need to be set properly in obs) but thats another story

Last edited:

ggmaboy

no, it would add one more trouble to take care of
60hz+vsync results in material ready for smooth encoding because you need 30 or 60 for final clip. with 144 you cant divide it easily to get 30/60 fps for recording or stream - it will result in stutter, so with 144 monitor its best to just set desktop refresh to 60 and forget about 144.
even more fun starts when using tv as monitor which introduces fractional fps like 59,94 and 29,97 (even when you set 60 for desktop and have a hdmi tv, the driver will not respect desktop setting and fall back to fractional numbers whitch need to be set properly in obs) but thats another story
Wow OBS cant record CS:GO then. V-Sync=delay that Counter-Strike doesn't need.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
If you don't want to use vsync then use a different method. For CS:GO you can use the fps_max cvar. It doesn't have to match your monitor's refresh rate, it just has to be low enough that you aren't maxing out your CPU/GPU so OBS can run properly.

ggmaboy

If you don't want to use vsync then use a different method. For CS:GO you can use the fps_max cvar. It doesn't have to match your monitor's refresh rate, it just has to be low enough that you aren't maxing out your CPU/GPU so OBS can run properly.
Thank you. But what does cvar mean or stand for?