Question / Help Recording window area size?

FabriA

You can use the Crop/Pad filter or, if you only need to record a single window, you can use the Window Capture.

FerretBomb

You can also hold the ALT key and drag the resize handles on the Display Capture source, this is the 'quick crop' mode.

Do be aware that Display Capture is the least performant capture method, has a number of severe drawbacks, and should only ever be used as an absolute last resort.

WB9SBD

I am 100% New to this software I was highly recomended to me.

So I have two monitors, so I can leave the program 100% out of the way in one monitor, Now say I want to record activity in Google Earth in the other monitor, as well as web pages, what is the best way to do it?

Joe

FabriA

I'd personally would probably set up each window as a separate Window Capture source, in order to have some control over them.
For each source you can define the position in the preview screen as well as apply some Filters like Crop/Pad.
But then it depends on your use case, e.g. what you want to achieve.Let us know.

WB9SBD

I want to
1- Make a video of me zooming into a view directly above my childhood home where I grew up. I will be using Google Earth for this, hence the need to crop out the extra stuff in the Google Earth window.

2- Once zoomed in I will narrate and using the mouse as a pointer describe how the house was externally vs how it looks now.

3- Then because the house is now up for sale they actually made a complete virtual tour of the inside. so want to do a like walk around inside describing all the rooms and what changes were made.

I thank you all for helping me

WB9SBD

OK I got it to work, BUT I still have a problem. I can not believe my Computer is not powerful enough. Attached is the video it made,
When I did it, on the monitor it was a SMOOOOTTHHH motion. Bui the saved video is all jerky.

Now the original is the other way around, and it was also jerky, but I wanted to be zooming in, and Google earth would not do it right for me. I would be zoomed all the way in, and back out, and then start the recording and try to zoom in, and it would not go to my old house, So I started all the way zoomed in, started the recording and then just backed out.

there are dozens of web sites where you can make it run backwards.

Anyway can anyone try to make this zooming thing for me? the house is this one in Google Maps.

Locate it, then find it in Google earth zoomed in as far as you can start the recorder and back all the way out.

lets see if anyone can get a smooth back out,

watch the jerky attached one.
UG it wont taKe the video, so here it is stuffed in you tube.

Joe

FabriA

I think OBS is not the right tool for the job. It can be done, of course, but you'd probably be better off with a Video Editing software like Filmora, BMD's DaVinci Resolve (free!) so that you can record your clips and assemble them on a time line. Even Microsoft has a free video editing software that might do the job.
OBS is for live streaming and expects, like a TV show, fixed scenes and transitions between them. While you will probably achieve your result in the end, you would already be done with an editor.

Dihelson

I want to
1- Make a video of me zooming into a view directly above my childhood home where I grew up. I will be using Google Earth for this, hence the need to crop out the extra stuff in the Google Earth window.

2- Once zoomed in I will narrate and using the mouse as a pointer describe how the house was externally vs how it looks now.

3- Then because the house is now up for sale they actually made a complete virtual tour of the inside. so want to do a like walk around inside describing all the rooms and what changes were made.

I thank you all for helping me

Perhaps you would have a better luck narrating and zooming using Camtasia as your software for that. That's what most people use.

WB9SBD

I think OBS is not the right tool for the job. It can be done, of course, but you'd probably be better off with a Video Editing software like Filmora, BMD's DaVinci Resolve (free!) so that you can record your clips and assemble them on a time line. Even Microsoft has a free video editing software that might do the job.
OBS is for live streaming and expects, like a TV show, fixed scenes and transitions between them. While you will probably achieve your result in the end, you would already be done with an editor.

I downloaded the Davinci, and looked at the Filmora, but there is like three versions, what should I grab?

Joe

FabriA

I downloaded the Davinci, and looked at the Filmora, but there is like three versions, what should I grab?

Joe

DaVinci Resolve has only one version that is completely free to use:

Whereas Filmora is free to try but puts a watermark over the exported video: full license costs around 70 dollars:

As suggested, Camtasia and other screen recording software work OK for your purpose: the two above are needed to produce the final clip. I use both, Filmora being the easier of the two to master but also lacks some features.