Recording seems a little..."muddy"

kylegates

I'll try n keep it short. Basically my content looks like this: (Like, at 20:50, the fire in the road looks good)

I am finding others though with recordings that simply have better clarity, like this: (Same fire around 19:00 looks, "sharper")

Obviously I don;t know what many utilize for hardware (capture device/cabling) or software so I am approaching from the "is there somethingobvious that I am doing wrong?" perspective.

My Hardware:
PS4 Pro (Set to 4K, HDR, Full color range)
Blackbird 4x4 Matrix HDMI Switch
Recording PC (i7 4970k, 32GB DDR 4, 960 EVO for recording SSD, GTX 1080, Elgato 4k MKII)

I have played around with various settings with little difference (Bilinear, Area, etc etc)(x264, NVEnc, etc).

On the recording system, the screen view in OBS seems VERY sharp, its only once I playback the recording where I notice detail loss. Any ideas on what I might be doin wrong?

Attachments

• obs 1.JPG
    obs 1.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 10
  • obs 2.JPG
    obs 2.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 11
  • obs 3.JPG
    obs 3.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 9
  • obs4.JPG
    obs4.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 9

carlmmii

Are you checking the quality of the actual file you recorded, or the youtube upload?

YouTube re-encodes everything that is uploaded, so you cannot use that for quality validation of OBS settings.

kylegates

The actual file. I run through a quick playback through a few sections to take a look and, just doesn't look as sharp as it should.

Doesn't hold a candle to games recording directly on PC but I assume some give and take is to be expected coming from a console.....still, got to be a way to improve some.

kylegates

Well, at least on default settings anyway, the 4K Avermedia card does seem to produce a superior image. I'll play around with the more advanced settings and see how far I can get.