Question / Help Recording multiple audio tracks not working.

Adenzel

Hi, I'm trying to record separate audio tracks. Specificity the Desktop audio on one track and my microphone on the other, so that I can adjust them separately while editing.

I've followed a couple of tutorials, one written the other a YouTube vid, and it seems really straight forward. However I only ever get sound from the first track.

A quick description of what I do.
Step 1; in the mixer set desktop to track one, then set mic to track two.
Step2; in settings on the output tab under record I have recording format set to MP4 with Audio track 1&2 selected, with the encoder x264.

Any help would be most appreciated =)

Attachments

• 2016-01-05 06-51-58.txt
    10.4 KB · Views: 38

Harold

And how are you checking the tracks during editing?

(I don't recommend mp4, I recommend mkv instead for multitrack)

Adenzel

I'll give mkv a go, see if that makes any difference. I've checked in Lightworks and although it loads multiple tracks they're all the same. I checked in VLC too and that also just played one track. If I don't select track one to record on and say I select tracks two and three instead then I get silence. Not sure of another way to check the tracks apart from Lightworks, unless Audacity would be able to load the audio.

Thanks for replying =)

Harold

Audacity with the ffmpeg import/export plugin should be able to read the audio tracks individually.

VLC can only play one track at a time.

Adenzel

Audacity with the ffmpeg import/export plugin should be able to read the audio tracks individually.

VLC can only play one track at a time.

I checked again with LightWorks after the last post I just made, and then tried Audacity, and sure enough OBS is doing it's job correctly >.< Which is great news but i do feel a bit silly. Still I'm more than slightly surprised that LightWorks is seeing the second set of tracks but not loading the data from them. Perhaps MKV will yield better results. Either way this is a decent improvement over recording with two separate programs =)

Thanks once again for your help :D

Harold

Processing a multitrack file with multiple specialized programs is easier to deal with than recording with multiple programs at once.

Adenzel

Yea I couldn't agree more. That's why I was so keen to get this working. With the previous method there were just far to many things that could go wrong and ruin the recording.