Question / Help Recording in non-native rez—is it possible?

That Random Guy

Hello,

Kind of a silly question here, but something I've been curious about.

Basically, I'm wondering if it's at all possible to record (what's on my screen) in a higher resolution that isn't necessarily native to my current system.

For instance, my HANNS.G HG216D runs at 1680 x 1050 natively, but I think it can go up to 1080.

My intent is to record select game-plays via Steam, but I've come to notice that if I choose to record with my current settings, I won't get 1080. This however, is a brief and limited understanding as I don't quite yet understand what happens whenever I use Steam.

Truth be told, I haven't ever used it up to this point and only have one game in my library at this point (still hasn't been released either, so I haven't played it).

I would like to record videos in 1080 because the majority of my game-play videos are in 1080. The reason for that is because of the fact that I used my Elgato game recorder for the mentioned game-plays. Up till now, I've been using Elgato for my Nintendo and Sony consoles—however, the game I'd like to start recording for is something I could only afford via Steam for the PC.

Therefore, I'm wondering if I'm stumped or if there's a solution for what I'm trying to get at....

Please feel free to ask any questions and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Thank-you for your time.

Regards,

T.R.G.

P.S. - GPU is: GeForce GT 420

Krelian

i don't think your gpu supports nvidia dsr, an that would be your only choice, obs supports downscaling, not upscaling.

That Random Guy

i don't think your gpu supports nvidia dsr, an that would be your only choice, obs supports downscaling, not upscaling.
Great!

Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.

To anyone: If anyone else can provide some suggestive input, that'd be well appreciated.

Again, thanks.

- T.R.G.

DEDRICK

You can have a 1920x1080 Scene and put a 1680x1050 Game Capture without issue. You can scale the entire Game capture up to fit and it will fit vertically but because 1680x1050 is a 16:10 aspect ratio you will have black bars on both sides.

Another option is to run the game in a 16:9 resolution and use the GPU scaling on your GPU to maintain aspect ratio or center the image. This will leave you with black bars on your monitor (top and bottom) but a full capture in OBS

Last edited: