Recording in higher resolution than my monitor??

fille_900

Hello, I have a question about recording.

So, I have recorded and posted videos of Battlefield 5 on YouTube in 1080p since it's my monitor resolution (1920x1080), however I have noticed that even though the videos are in my monitor resolution, they just about fit the screen which means they can look slightly pixeled in some cases and you don't get that extra quality effect like when you watch a 4k video on a 1920x1080 monitor or a 1080p video on a smartphone. ( I mean that higher quality videos are compressed down to fit the smaller screen resolution which makes the quality appear better than if the video is the same resolution as the screen you are watching on)

So I would like to push the quality one step further to 1440p (2560x1440) and I wonder how that can be done? I have an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 12 GB and an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-core CPU. I would like to avoid changing my in-game resolution to 2560x1440 if possible, as it look horrible on my monitor, but of course if it is necessary then I guess I have no choice. I have read some threads about Nvidia DSR and changing the desktop resolution and stuff but I am still not sure how I can record Battlefield 5 in 1440p on my monitor.

Any ideas? I really appreciate your help

koala

If you activate DSR, the Nvidia driver will replace your current monitor with a virtual monitor in Windows that is capable of displaying higher resolutions, resolutions you define with the given DSR factors. In your game (as well as for Windows itself), you can choose one of these resolutions for fullscreen gaming, and in OBS you can use the same as canvas. Then the game will render a higher resolution for Windows, OBS is able to capture the higher resolution, and the Nvidia driver will internally downscale it to the native resolution of your physical resolution and send it to your physical monitor.

fille_900

If you activate DSR, the Nvidia driver will replace your current monitor with a virtual monitor in Windows that is capable of displaying higher resolutions, resolutions you define with the given DSR factors. In your game (as well as for Windows itself), you can choose one of these resolutions for fullscreen gaming, and in OBS you can use the same as canvas. Then the game will render a higher resolution for Windows, OBS is able to capture the higher resolution, and the Nvidia driver will internally downscale it to the native resolution of your physical resolution and send it to your physical monitor.
Wait, I am a bit confused, do I need to play the game with the higher resoultion (2560x1440) if I wanna record in that resolution or can I continue using 1920x1080 in game?

koala

You have to play the game with the higher resolution of course, to make the game actually render this higher resolution. As far as I understand you want this higher resolution to be able to downscale to 1080p again to have improved quality from that. I don't understand why anyone would want to do this (I don't really see quality improvements from that), however if you want to do it, go ahead.

If you only want to cheat Youtube and expect Youtube creates better 1080p downscaled from a 1440p upload (which is questionable), you can as well just upscale from 1080p in OBS video settings->Output resolution. However I doubt you really get a better 1080p variant from that. You're also cheating your viewers with this. They see: "wow, there is a 1440p version available" and try to watch it if they have a larger monitor than 1080p, however actually it's just a 1080p video bloated up. You need double the bitrate to keep up the quality for upload, since you're almost doubling the data by going from 1080p to 1440p.

AaronD

Hey, at that point you might as well go 4k! (where's the "ridiculous" smiley button?) At least that's an integer multiple of 1920x1080 in both directions. Specifically 2x. So it's almost trivial to scale, and gives you 4x the data! But you still haven't added any useful information.

If you really want more useful information, then you have to have the game render in high-res, and keep that frame size all the way through. Downscaling for local display is fine, if that's really all it is. But then I'd question how useful high-res really is. What's the angular resolution of a human eye, and how far away do people normally have their screens?