Question / Help recording a fullscreen game running in Wine

racasper

HI, I'm stuck on this and hopefully it's something simple I'm missing as a beginner.

I use Ubuntu 14.04, and have OBS 0.11.2 installed. I can record a simple screen capture.
I want to record gameplay to a file. The game is Path of Exile, which is running fullscreen, using PlayonLinux (Wine).

When I try to set up the Scene in OBS, and right click on Sources, there is no option for "Game Capture". I could do Screen Capture but a tutorial I saw recommended using Game Capture for games.

Also I am trying to set up OBS without the game running. The tutorial said something about choosing a running game as a video source. When I run the game, I can't figure out how to switch screens back to my Ubuntu desktop. Alt-Tab doesn't work, and switching Workspaces doesn't work. I have to quit the game to get back to Ubuntu and OBS.

Any suggestion on what to try next?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
The tutorial was probably for OBS Classic, not Multiplatform, and Game Capture only exists on the Windows version. Just use Screen capture.

leopardb

It is possible, but you have several different problems that need to be solved : the first one is this alt-tab story and this is wine related. Try to start your game this way (replace "1920x1200" with the resolution of your desktop):

wine explorer /desktop=pathtoexile,1920x1200 "C:\...\path_to_PathofExile.exe"

This will start the game in a window that is the same of your desktop. Then maybe you can alt-tab from it, and it will provide a nice window with the title "pathtoexile" to choose from in the OBS settings. (Hopefully your game runs in the same resolution as your desktop...)

Then use "Window Capture (XComposite)" and choose the right window (while the game is running).

That's around 33% of the way ;) (then there's sound etc, but check if you already succeed doing that).