Question / Help Record from VCR with Capture Card and Composite

muhammadpbuh570

I am new to OBS and I am trying to use it to transfer VHS tapes at full 1080p at 60 fps. I am using an INOGENI VGA USB 3.0 composite capture card (see it here from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013TPPCVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), which I read is fully OBS-compatible. OBS recognizes the capture card and is able to connect to the audio signal, but the screen remains black. The preview window for the INOGENI displays the feed from the VCR perfectly (though at 30 fps), but the main screen is black, and when I hit record, I only get the sound with a black screen.

What am I doing wrong? I am doing this for work, and there is a tape of my boss’s daughter as a baby I need to transfer as a surprise for her looming wedding which my boss needs ASAP.

I really need help. Thank you.

muhammadpbuh570

I don’t know what a log is, and I do have access to a Windows machine, but it’s not mine, it’s old and slow, and I’ve spent months trying to find a way of doing this which is Mac-compatible.

xwvp13

I know that obs on Mac can’t do direct recording from elgato, I wonder if it’s the same problem have you tried doing a window capture instead?

Narcogen

I don’t know what a log is, and I do have access to a Windows machine, but it’s not mine, it’s old and slow, and I’ve spent months trying to find a way of doing this which is Mac-compatible.
The link I posted explains exactly how to find and post the OBS logfile.

Narcogen

I know that obs on Mac can’t do direct recording from elgato, I wonder if it’s the same problem have you tried doing a window capture instead?
I'm guessing this device shipped with no software at all, so there's no window to capture. If OBS cannot see it, I'm guessing it's because either it really isn't driverless and there's no MacOS driver, or because the correct video format / resolution / framerate have not been set in the video capture properties.

If there was such an error, the logfile might reveal it.