Question / Help Record a fixed part 1280x720 of a 1920x1080 display

mijen67

Newbie question: I would like to record from a fixed part of my screen, say 1280x720 at a certain location (e.g. 100x100 pixels from upper left corner).
I've read the documentation, seen a bunch of youtube tutorials but I haven't been able to wrap my head around OBS' recommended approach on how to do this. Feel free to hint me on how to do this (canvas = 1920x1080, output=1280x720, source=display capture, filter=crop/pad ???, ... but I'm still confused what happens if I reposition or resize source in preview etc ...) ... I guess I'm just confused.

Michael

koala

Quality is best, if both the canvas and output video has the same size as the biggest source in your scene.
If you cut a rectangle of 1280x720 from out your whole display, you get a source with size 1280x720. So choose your canvas and output size as 1280x720. This way, no rescaling needs to take place.
It doesn't matter that the original display capture source is much bigger than your canvas - you want a visible piece of 1280x720, and this is then what your canvas should be.

Will Moore

Hi, I'm just trying to get started with OBS and I want do do exactly what was asked here: "record a fixed part of my screen, say 1280x720 at a certain location".
I want to record a video that will look nice on youtube and have found that other sizes get more pixellated on youtube.
I would like to capture a potion of my desktop, so that I can show various different windows in this cropped part of the screen at different points in the tutorial.
However, I don't understand the instructions above. What is a canvas?
What do I add to my Sources?
I've been trying to set the "Display Capture" to crop to 1280 x 720 but I can only crop by a specified margin, not crop to a specified size.
Thanks for your help,

Will.