Question / Help Recommended Mac Specs

Clayton Priest

Can anyone give me the recommendations for what specs to look for when getting a Mac for OBS? Forgive me if it has already been posted somewhere, I haven't found it yet.

Thanks,

Clayton Priest

Narcogen

I don't think anybody actually suggests going out and choosing a Mac for OBS-- and this is from a person who chooses to use a Mac for anything and everything whenever possible.

If you're buying a computer for the primary purpose of using OBS, you want a Windows desktop with the best Nvidia card you can justify.

xvlc

If you're buying a computer for the primary purpose of using OBS, you want a Windows desktop with the best Nvidia card you can justify.

Why with "the best Nvidia card"? Don't you normally use the software encoder?

Narcogen

"The best Nvidia card you can justify". OBS needs the GPU to render frames even if you're going to use the CPU do compression. If you just stick with built-in video or a cheap or old discrete card, you may find that your GPU cannot render frames fast enough to feed the compressor at the frame size, frame rate, and quality your CPU can handle compressing.

Making that an Nvidia card gives you the option to use NVENC if you choose. There's no particular advantage on Windows (unlike Mac or a Hackintosh) of using an AMD card, but if that's your jam, go for it-- any decent card is better than none at all.

AdrianG001

Your Mac system is incomplete without these components for Obs
  • Intel CPU (PPC is not supported)
  • OpenGL 3.2 compatible GPU
  • macOS 10.10 or newer
Adrian Gates

Last edited by a moderator:

Stever54

I am very new to obs. I am looking to use it soley for streaming so any advice I can get on PC to use Graphics Cards or any other requirement is greatfully recieved.