Question / Help Recommendation of Dedicated Server for OBS Studio

dwaterboker

Hi all.

Anyone here who ever use dedicated server for running OBS Studio? Could you give any suggest or recommendation what dedi can works OBS Studio smoothly?

Thanks all for answer.

c3r1c3

Well... it depends on what you mean by 'server', and what you're trying to do.
Can you enlighten us with your proposed use-case? (Make sure you don't leave out important details like streaming resolution, fps and other important factors).

dwaterboker

Well... it depends on what you mean by 'server', and what you're trying to do.
Can you enlighten us with your proposed use-case? (Make sure you don't leave out important details like streaming resolution, fps and other important factors).
I mean virtual dedicated server like VPS.
I want to stream video and broadcast it live on facebook.

koala

Perhaps you have a small misunderstanding of what OBS does. OBS is a streaming client that collects and composes video sources on a local PC and produce a stream from it. This stream is sent by OBS to some streaming service for broadcast. A service which is a black box from OBS' point of view. You cannot run OBS on a vps, because on a vps there is nothing to compose. OBS relies on directx and the graphics card installed in the PC where it is running, and won't run without it. In a vps, no graphics card is available for OBS.

@dwaterbroker please elaborate on the use case, I would just say way can't you use a local pc with OBS installed ? why do you need a vps? do you not have a pc capable of this? hence you want to rent one for streaming?

Is the vps going to be a relay for another obs steam? if so you could use ngnix to re-stream it but you still need the source as @koala has stated to have a GPU running obs.

dwaterboker

Perhaps you have a small misunderstanding of what OBS does. OBS is a streaming client that collects and composes video sources on a local PC and produce a stream from it. This stream is sent by OBS to some streaming service for broadcast. A service which is a black box from OBS' point of view. You cannot run OBS on a vps, because on a vps there is nothing to compose. OBS relies on directx and the graphics card installed in the PC where it is running, and won't run without it. In a vps, no graphics card is available for OBS.
Yes, I know. But how about dedicated server? Does it has grapgic card / GPU?

@dwaterbroker please elaborate on the use case, I would just say way can't you use a local pc with OBS installed ? why do you need a vps? do you not have a pc capable of this? hence you want to rent one for streaming?

Is the vps going to be a relay for another obs steam? if so you could use ngnix to re-stream it but you still need the source as @koala has stated to have a GPU running obs.
My desktop is too old for running OBS. Besides, my internet connection is not fast enough for streaming-broadcasting. That's the reason why I really need to rent a virtual server.
Is there any solution?

Simes

Yes, I know. But how about dedicated server? Does it has grapgic card / GPU?
Dedicated servers don't tend to have much in the way of GPU power because their usual use case doesn't require it.

My desktop is too old for running OBS. Besides, my internet connection is not fast enough for streaming-broadcasting. That's the reason why I really need to rent a virtual server.
Is there any solution?

If your internet connection's not fast enough to stream to Facebook, then it's not going to be fast enough to stream to the server either.

koala

But how about dedicated server? Does it has grapgic card / GPU?
You have to ask the hoster that will offer the dedicated server. I assume: no. Every offer I know does not mention any graphics feature. There are hosters who offer server with graphics accelerator cards for game hosting, but I bet such servers are so expensive to rent that you can buy a whole PC for the fee of a few months.

In general, OBS will work through a rdp session (remote desktop). I remote controlled my PC with rdp, just like you would if you rent a dedicated Windows server. OBS was useable, although I were not able to watch the preview window or videos in general. That required too much bandwith for rdp. That means, you are not really able to compose and manage a stream remotely through rdp. In a LAN environment you have enough bandwith, but not with a narrow DSL line. You said you have low bandwidth at home, so it seems unlikely that you will succeed in remote-controlling OBS through rdp or vnc. Webcam is not possible to redirect, gaming as well not possible on a server, so I assume you don't have anything interesting as source.

If you don't tell in more detail from what sources you want to produce your stream product, I would say trying to use a dedicated server from a hoster will not work.

dwaterboker

Dedicated servers don't tend to have much in the way of GPU power because their usual use case doesn't require it.

If your internet connection's not fast enough to stream to Facebook, then it's not going to be fast enough to stream to the server either.
Thanks for answer. I so appreciate it.

You have to ask the hoster that will offer the dedicated server. I assume: no. Every offer I know does not mention any graphics feature. There are hosters who offer server with graphics accelerator cards for game hosting, but I bet such servers are so expensive to rent that you can buy a whole PC for the fee of a few months.

In general, OBS will work through a rdp session (remote desktop). I remote controlled my PC with rdp, just like you would if you rent a dedicated Windows server. OBS was useable, although I were not able to watch the preview window or videos in general. That required too much bandwith for rdp. That means, you are not really able to compose and manage a stream remotely through rdp. In a LAN environment you have enough bandwith, but not with a narrow DSL line. You said you have low bandwidth at home, so it seems unlikely that you will succeed in remote-controlling OBS through rdp or vnc. Webcam is not possible to redirect, gaming as well not possible on a server, so I assume you don't have anything interesting as source.

If you don't tell in more detail from what sources you want to produce your stream product, I would say trying to use a dedicated server from a hoster will not work.
I'm getting confused more now. Maybe my question and my answer above is not clear enough.

Ok, to prevent lengthly discussion then I will just condense it in detail.

So I will stream html script from a website here hxxp://kanayafurniture.net/live/ with using OBS studio browser plugin, then directly boadcast it in my Facebook page.

c3r1c3

Then you need a server with a GPU and a gui, so you can remote into it, control it and tell OBS to stream for you.