Question / Help Random Frame Stutters within OBS Preview/Stream/Recording

ImDylan93

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here can help me track down and resolve a persistent and quite frankly frustrating issue i'm experiencing. At random while OBS Studio is open, the preview/stream/recording will begin to show frame stutters while the game remains at a crisp 60FPS with no major drops. The stutters seem to clear up and re-occur randomly. I've been working to track down a route cause for the past few days, but am having no luck.

CPU/GPU use within Windows both stick around 45/50%, and 3-7% in OBS
RAM use within Windows sticks around 50-60%
CPU/GPU temps both stick between 45/60c
Frames missed due to rendering lag: 7 / 253750 (0.0%)
Skipped frames due to encoding lag: 0 / x amount (0.0%)
FPS in game: constant 60
Tried Display Capture, Window Capture, Game Capture, and it happens in multiple games, and maybe even outside them
Tried putting game settings to lowest, OBS stutters still occur

System Specs:
i7-4790K @ 4.0Ghz
16GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
MSI GTX 980Ti 6GB

Video showing stutters in session (Stutters resolved near the end, but came back later sometime after stream completion): https://www.twitch.tv/videos/510192933
Log from session: https://obsproject.com/logs/QResQmCm76kMHW3f

This is by far the most odd problem i've come across so far within OBS. If anyone has any ideas related to potential solutions, please let me know. I'm willing to try anything at this point.

-Dylan

Last edited:

halloweenkid9

I have the same problem here. Since his recording expired I'll provide one from youtube here.
I'm using Streamlabs OBS, and I don't know how to get the session log.

System specs:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 16GB 1333Mhz DDR3
GPU: GTX 1060 3GB

On a further note;
Before I messed with any of the settings in the editor, the game capture appeared to have the correct dimensions on the screen (1080p), but when I actually selected game capture in the editor, the supposed dimensions of it were actually '1536x864' instead of 1920x1080, with the preview outline to scale for 1536x864 aligned to the top left corner of the preview screen.

While I was messing with the settings I tried to change the game capture specified window to another application, instead of changing the window instead it gave no input with the preview outline of it disappearing for a moment and then randomly reappearing for a frame or two repeatedly.

P.S. I tried to force the scaling to 1920x1080, but there is no option for 1080p, only downscaled resolutions.