Bug Report Random crashes

vitorgatti

I know OBS for Linux is alpha, but I'm getting random crashes when I'm streaming.

OBS 0.6.1-24-g291b88e (linux)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00GHz
Physical Memory: 7882MB Total
Kernel Version: Linux 3.16.4-031604-generic
Ubuntu 14.04 64bits

Code:
info: [x264 encoder: 'default_h264'] preset: veryfast
info: [x264 encoder: 'default_h264'] settings:
    bitrate:     3500
    buffer size: 3500
    fps_num:     30
    fps_den:     1
    width:       1024
    height:      576
    keyint:      60
    cbr:         on
info: libfdk_aac encoder created
info: libfdk_aac bitrate: 160, channels: 2
info: [rtmp stream: 'default_stream'] Connecting to RTMP URL rtmp://live-lax.twitch.tv/app...
info: [rtmp stream: 'default_stream'] Connection to rtmp://live-lax.twitch.tv/app successful
obs: ../../src/xcb_conn.c:186: write_vec: Assertion `!c->out.queue_len' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)
user@machine:~$

The following line seems to be the reason of the crash:
obs: ../../src/xcb_conn.c:186: write_vec: Assertion `!c->out.queue_len' failed.

Sometimes the crash comes after 3 minutes streaming, sometimes after 6 minutes, and my last try I streamed for more than 10 minutes without crashes.
The log file didn't contain any information about the crash, but I'll attach to this post anyway.

Thanks for bringing OBS to Linux! :)

Attachments

• 2014-10-16 13-12-54.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 35

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Yes, I have seen these happen myself on my test machine, though they're seemingly random, and I haven't been able to track them down. I'm not sure if it's a bug within our code or a bug within a dependency however. We do some advanced stuff that is somewhat unusual for normal applications to do.

vitorgatti

Glad to know that I'm not alone with this bug! If you need me to do more tests, feel free to contact me. My laptop has a NVIDIA Optimus GPU, so I can do more crazy tests than normal.

THTB

Any word on the progress of this issue? OBS is working properly for me otherwise. Hopefully the root of the issue is found.

it would be helpful to the dev's if you're experiencing crashes often to actually provide a backtrace of the crash. this can be accomplished by first installing gdb if it's not installed. open a terminal window and type in
Code:
sudo apt-get install gdb
enter your password and hit enter
then from a terminal launch obs with gdb using (NOTE: I may have the path wrong, so in order to find the binary for obs just issue "which obs" in the terminal and it should return the full path to the executable, if not than try "which obs-studio")
Code:
gdb /usr/bin/obs
the terminal window will put you at a gdb command prompt, now to run the program you're trying to debug just issue
Code:
run
and hit the enter key, obs studio should open like normal. now do what you need to do in obs and hope it crashes LMFAO. When it does crash you'll have that terminal still running which is back at a gdb command prompt so in that prompt just type in
Code:
bt
which is telling gdb to give you a backtrace of the crash. Then you would copy and paste the output from running bt at pastebin or a similar site and then link it in this thread. Then the dev's have actual useful debug info to use to try to fix the issue. Happy backtracing :)

THTB

Thank you ubuntuaddicted! I'll test this out and post the output (if I do get it to crash).

admalledd

If you already have gdb open, possibly also doing "generate-core-file" to save the current memory/program core to a file, from jim says it might not be as simple as getting a backtrace. If you happen to get the crash and get the corefile jim (or some other linux dev who knows what is going on) should be able to check variables and some other things as well. More info == better. I will be on the lookout for this bug as well (although I have not seen it myself)

Kranium31

I had this issue with my laptop with dual graphics also. It has to do with the dual graphics. It crashes on my media center with the i5 as well. Is there any way to test?

Kranium31

I will do that next time i do a test cast. I already have nvidia prime installed. Removing bumblebee on this laptop doesnt seem to work...

vitorgatti

just an update about the random crashes, everything seems to be working now

git-cloned obs and ffmpeg January 15th, compiled everything and I streamed for 7 hours yesterday and it only crashed because my internet connection dropped.

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 64bits in a laptop with nvidia optimus, but I'm not running obs with "primusrun", and I can stream games running with primusrun

just an update about the random crashes, everything seems to be working now

git-cloned obs and ffmpeg January 15th, compiled everything and I streamed for 7 hours yesterday and it only crashed because my internet connection dropped.

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 64bits in a laptop with nvidia optimus, but I'm not running obs with "primusrun", and I can stream games running with primusrun
#epic