R1CH Twitch Test (Most servers 0, all bad)

Exactly. Traceroute does it three times per hop. It does not aggregate data on each node over time, which is what makes PP useful as a diagnostic tool separate from traceroute, and is exactly the thing that can point out a problem node. It's why Pingplotter exists, and why network professionals use it instead of just whacking traceroute at the problem.
Again. I worked as a network engineer in the industry for 10 years. CCNA, MCSE, hell I think I still have my CNE somewhere, back from when people actually used Novell. Christ, this must be how doctors feel 'debating' with anti-vaxxers.

Did you run Pingplotter as advised? Do you have a screenshot of it from your connection? Again, that's the first step, seeing where the problem is actually occurring in the chain.
It tends to motivate ISPs if you can say 'I am showing a lot of packet loss originating at [IP] which appears to be a routing node on your intranet' as opposed to 'my connection is unstable'. The latter they can brush off.

i tried but I’m not sure if I did it correctly. I had some questions above about running it and if you could let me know I’ll run it ASAP. Thanks so much

FerretBomb

okay so i'd put in rtmp://live-iad05.twitch.tv/ and let it run?
If that's the ingest you're using (Ashburn, VA (5)), yep! Leave off the rtmp:// and just feed Pingplotter the live-iad05.twitch.tv hostname.
also will this work with a twitch bandwidth test or should i actually go live? sorry for all the questions im learning as we go. it's been stressful.
It would be better to actually stream, while playing a game. This will allow you to confirm that you're dropping frames, so you'll be capturing pertinent data. You want a real-world test whenever possible.

If that's the ingest you're using (Ashburn, VA (5)), yep! Leave off the rtmp:// and just feed Pingplotter the live-iad05.twitch.tv hostname.

It would be better to actually stream, while playing a game. This will allow you to confirm that you're dropping frames, so you'll be capturing pertinent data. You want a real-world test whenever possible.
thank you! ill try this today. is it possible to ping both ashburn servers at the same time or should i do one at a time? if you care to check it out and see if you see anything unordinary feel free twitch.tv/noobzwastaken

1602963786292.png

good? can i do two servers? (both va servers) or one at a time? also should i change any settings before hand?

FerretBomb

Trace to whichever ingest server you will be streaming to. You want to monitor the active route you're using during the test session to see how/where it fails. Tracing to the other one will be pretty pointless, and be unlikely to give useful data at the moment.

Trace to whichever ingest server you will be streaming to. You want to monitor the active route you're using during the test session to see how/where it fails. Tracing to the other one will be pretty pointless, and be unlikely to give useful data at the moment.

i usually stream to one or the other depending on the quality that day. can i post the results? i really don't know what to look for.

FerretBomb

Yep, that. Hop 2 looks slightly suspect due to the large latency variance (the bigger bar on the right, as compared to the others), but as it's blocked out along with the next one, it's hard to tell if that's a routing device on your LAN, the router/modem connection to your ISP (the 'last mile' connection leaving your house), or the neighborhood-local concentrator/DSLAM before entering your ISP's intranet proper.

More concerning is the nearly 1% packet loss on hop 4. That will absolutely cause a low quality score. But armed with that screenshot (or preferably an un-edited one) contacting your ISP can do a lot more good as you can tell them "hey, this node on your network is showing significant amounts of packet loss". It's proof of where a problem is occurring in your route to the destination server.

I'd still suspect Hop 2 with all servers returning Quality 0 on some of that testing, but that would require more testing to nail down. You can also try swapping to the other ingest you use (and in PP as well) and see if both connection routes run through that same node that's showing packet loss.

Generally speaking, ALL servers having a problem usually means the issue is closer to your end of the connection. Only one or two servers being problematic tends to indicate the problem being closer to the server end of the route. This isn't a hard rule though, just a windsock on where to start looking in the troubleshooting process.

TryHD

Dude are you for real? There is no way to say it nicely after your I'm a expert bla bla. This is total bullshit of a interpretation of that ping plotter output. And if any of what you say you worked on before is true, man you must have sucked at your job. Confirms just that you have a big mouth but no knowledge.
For everyone getting via google to that topic. Ignore everything that this dude is writing and learn here how to read properly a pingplotter output https://www.pingplotter.com/manual/interpretgraphsexampleone.html