Bug Report Quicksync artifacts problem

chummy

Hi, i'm testing OBS-MP last days for local recording only and it worked fine with x264 and AMD VCE using these settings:

Profile: main
Keyframe: 10
CBR: 50000
buffer size:50000
Advanced: checked
B-frame:0
Minium QP:10
Maximum QP:25

I trying settings like these in Quicksync, but Quicksync keeps producing videos with artifacts. I already tried with Keyframes to 0(auto) and same problem. My Quicksync HW is HD 4600. What settings can i change for Quicksync make a video without image corruptions? Some advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Isegrim

What do you mean by artifacts? I'm getting a green video with lots of artifacts if i use anything above the baseline profile.

chummy

It occur in many forms of image distortion, i dont know how to express the real name to it, corruption, artifacts, image distortion. I tried using 2 b-frames and the video becomes green like you.

Researching about image artifacts i discover some people do it for art, calling databending.

My videos become 90% of the time with normal quality but random parts the corruption occurs and look like this:
http://forum.videohelp.com/images/guides/p1890577/glitch_example.jpg

I was thinking maybe that is a new feature art from OBS-MP.

Edited: I just tried original OBS and Quicksync produced a footage without image corruptions. I already tried baseline,main, High and some mix of settings and all of them create image artifacts with Quicksync in OBS-MP.

Last edited:

Martin Borgman

I have the exact same issue. Random artifacts for about half a second to a second as shown in your screenshot there. The interval seems to be around 2-3 min more or less. I'm on an Intel 2500K HD3000 chip for Quicksync. And similar to you, OBS doesn't have issues at all compared to OBS Studio

Profile: high (used all of em same result)
Keyframe: 2
CBR: 9000 - 60000 (various bitrates tested, I usually record at 24000 or 30000)
buffer size:auto or at double bitrate up to 30000 (tested various settings here as well)
Advanced: checked
B-frame:2
Minium QP:2
Maximum QP:20

MP4 @ 30FPS

Intel 2500K HD3000
16Gb DDR3 1600
Windows 7 Ultimate
ATI HD5870 1Gb

Tried recording to a Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200RPM, an USB2.0 Western Digital 2TB and a RAID0 2x Western Digital Raptor 36Gb drives at 10.000RPM. All drive setups cause this artifact interval...

I can create compilations to some extent, if it doesn't artifact during the cool stuff. However, LongPlay's are kinda annoying to record with the blocky blocks on screens randomly :( I guess I'll have to go back to OBS, too bad as I really enjoy the dual soundcard option and multi audio channels...

Last edited:

chummy

I have the exact same issue. Random artifacts for about half a second to a second as shown in your screenshot there. The interval seems to be around 2-3 min more or less. I'm on an Intel 2500K HD3000 chip for Quicksync. And similar to you, OBS doesn't have issues at all compared to OBS Studio

OBS-studio is the best choice for me because it has support to 3rd party hooks like FRAPS and Afterburner while old OBS not work with this.

From what i discovered Quicksync in OBS-studio is working through 3rd party Microsoft Media foundation and only officially support Haswell and above. Yet i use Haswell processor but the problem happens to me.

Only thing to do is wait future implementation of old Quicksync in Studio version.

Martin Borgman

Yeah it was the multichannel audio that made me prefer Studio. Also the interface itself was more streamlined, but that is more of a luxury thing :D

For now I'm now back on 64bits OBS and Audacity...

Chaskerr4

I think the issue is that when you create a buffer using quicksync it's not starting with a keyframe and results in artifacts on the first few frames. Using software (x264) it does set key_frame.

Here's the first frame of the .FLV buffer file created use QucikSync. From FFProbe.

[FRAME]
media_type=video
stream_index=0
key_frame=0
pkt_pts=583
pkt_pts_time=0.583000
pkt_dts=583
pkt_dts_time=0.583000
best_effort_timestamp=583
best_effort_timestamp_time=0.583000
pkt_duration=16
pkt_duration_time=0.016000
pkt_pos=576415
pkt_size=14626
width=1280
height=720
pix_fmt=yuv420p
sample_aspect_ratio=1:1
pict_type=B
coded_picture_number=39
display_picture_number=0
interlaced_frame=0
top_field_first=0
repeat_pict=0
[/FRAME]

Using software, that first FRAME has key_frame=1 and there's no artifacts.