Question / Help QuickSync and AMD VCE are not even listed

halsoy

As per the title:
gmDgs6Q.png

I've used OBS multiplatform before using AMD VCE with no problems (and teh AMD VCE fork for the original). But since changing over to an Intel platform I haven't been able to use QuickSync or AMD VCE at all with it. As you can see, both the traditional OBS and Xsplit can use QuickSync and AMD VCE, so it's not that it's not there, multiplatform simply doesn't have the option for whatever reason.

I don't have any log files as I haven't used it, nor can I use it to get a log file with QuickSync or AMD VCE.

Any idea how to fix this? I'm running all the latest drivers as of 3rd of feb. 2016, just because that's always a question that pops up.

Silv

Hi there, I'm having the same problem

I used the AMD hardware encoder with earlier versions of OBS MP but right now I can only choose x264

I'm running Windows 10 N too, but like halsoy, I have already installed the required media updates

k4ywalsk

Are you perhaps using a N edition of Windows 10?

I too am having this issue, I've installed the media features pack, both x64 and x86 with no results. If it helps at all, this also occurs with other recording software that is able to take advantage of the hardware encoder.

This only started happening after the latest large windows update, OBS and other capture software worked fine before that, so I'm 100% sure it's not the fault of OBS, but rather something going on with Windows. I've been hoping to get some input from someone on this, because it sucks to not be able to record.

As a side note, reverting to the previous version of windows 10, before the update fixes this issue, though this time I'm not able to do that, because I've already deleted windows.old (taking up 46GB, aint nobody got time for that)

k4ywalsk

Try installing this one: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49919
The 1511 update of windows 10 removes the media feature pack and the old installer doesn't work with 1511.

Thanks for the quick repply, but upon clicking your link I was presented with
oXbiAMc.png

EDIT: Nevermind, clicked it again and it just worked.

EDIT #2: After installing each one individually and checking OBS, it still fails to show the VCE encoder as an option :( Thanks, though.

EDIT#3: Thought I would mention that after installing the suggested media features packs, Plays.TV now works correctly.

Last edited:

mantazzo

Did you try checking AMD graphics control panel? I'm not sure about AMD, but if you set that OBS Studio would forcefully run on NVIDIA it would not show Intel option at all (NOTE: I'm running it on a laptop which has GT630M and doesn't support NVENC). When switched to Auto, Intel option comes back. Maybe something similar may be in your AMD control panel? If that's the thing. I don't have any experience with AMD yet.

halsoy

I can't vouch for everyone else, but like I said in the OP, the correct media extension for 1511 version of Windows 10 N has been installed on my end since before I installed OBS MP (after finding the correct one that actually works, not the one Microsoft tries to push on you that doesn't work on 1511).

The problem is only with OBS MP as the pictures shows. I can use QuickSync and AMD VCE with normal OBS (only QuicSync as I don't have the VCE fork installed), XSplit as well as Bandicam (Bandicam also supports both just like XSplit).

So it's a localized issue with OBS MP only on my end.

Osiris

OBS MP uses Media Foundation, which is part of the feature pack for Windows 10 N editions. OBS1 has a native implementation, so it's quite normal that it does work in OBS1.