Question / Help Question about a weird glitch in recordings

Orisa

Hi all,

My video quality and audio quality for OBS has been great, and for the most part my video games look good when being recorded off line. However, I noticed something really odd with certain games. Also I'm using the Elgato game capture HD, Windows 10 and everything is updated.

Basically when I'm recording a game that has black bars on the side (like SNES Classic 4:3, or Switch Online retro games), they look great in the recordings, but once in a while if the game switches a screen, like say going into another room or stage, for a split second I get this super wierd glitchy box on the right side. It usually seeps into the picture by a tiny bit, and I'm not even sure how to describe it, other then it looks like lots of tiny blue files or arrows, or digital chunks in this black faded box. You can barely see it if you have a dark monitor or brightness turned really far down.

I tried to capture a image of this right off my computer just print screening the recording, but it won't actually show up in the saved image (super weird). I also thought maybe it was just my desktop monitor, so I saved my recorded MP4s and put them on my TV, Youtube, etc to experiment, but they are def still there.

So to recap:

1. Only seems to happen to games that have black bars on the side (like SNES Classic games, Switch Online NES games, etc).
  2. Only seems to happen about 7 to 10 times per hour recording, and only when you are switching to a new screen area / stage, so the actual screen has to change.
  3. Description of glitch is hard, but it looks like this weird faded box, always on the far right for that second, with little blue arrows / folders / chunks.
  4. Hard to see if you aren't looking for it with a darker monitor / screen.
Thank you!!!

UPDATE: Here is a video I uploaded quick, to show you guys. Check the 3:18 to 3:22 mark, once it switches screens. You can see it for a second or two on the right side of the screen (it's on the black bar, and seeps into the video a bit).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQBY7XD4jeA&feature=youtu.be

Orisa

i do not see anything in the 3:28-3:22 screen switch at all, its completely black on my playback.

Okay thanks Bionic. Yeah it's not during the transition, it's once the next screen shows up, you can see it on the far right (in the black bar, seeping into part of the video). It's on there for about 1 full second or a little less. Sometimes they show up longer then others on other videos.

Like I said for me, I did put it on a USB stick with some other videos that did it longer and tried it on my better TV, then on youtube on my tablet and I could still see them (they were harder to see if the screen was darker though I noticed).

Last edited:

Orisa

(Sorry for another post, I'm not sure how to edit my posts after it's been like 10 min)

I just wanted to give an update: It's weird because on my downstairs TV that's newer from 2018, I don't see it either, via USB stick raw footage or Youtube upload. My phone also looks really good. I can only see it on my PC monitor where I do the OBS recordings and raw footage, as well as the TV up here when I used the USB stick footage on the Blueray player. Ah well lol, no clue what it is.

I finally took a photo of it and circled the area so in case you guys can see what I'm talking about (this was screen shot from my PC just using the video it's on): https://imgur.com/a/8aZfCSn

Last edited: