Quality issue with Blackmagic Decklink Mini Recorder 4K

jjfoerch

Hello,

I have a Blackmagic Decklink Mini Recorder 4K and I'm seeing a quality problem in OBS where pixels that I believe should be white appear in colors such as yellow, green, or black. I have attached a screenshot. The artifacts that appear are not only in the on-screen preview, but also in the recording.

The Decklink card is configured for an HDMI input.

The signal path is from another computer, over HDMI to an Extron IN1608 xi switcher, and HDMI to the Decklink.

This issue does not appear in Blackmagic Media Express, the capture program which comes bundled with the Decklink driver. I have tried Blackmagic Desktop Video software / drivers, versions 11.2, 11.5.1, and 11.6, all with the same results.

I am totally baffled, so any insights would be greatly appreciated! Log is here: https://obsproject.com/logs/jPVzYUBr4KGeLSa5

Thank you!

John

Annotation 2020-08-20 155400.png

jjfoerch

I think I have solved it. In the switcher's configuration, I changed the Output Format of the HDMI output in question to HDMI YUV 444 Full (or Limited also works). It seems that it was defaulting to RGB colorspace, and this was causing the artifacts.

If anybody out there reads this and wants to help fill me in on why this made the difference, I would be curious to know. I'm going to try to research these different color modes to understand it better.