QT5 must stay in obs 28 for all plugins to work

All prior plug ins must work in obs 28 and future release, why? this is so because all plugins are officially released ("Created by the hardwork of a different mind") and it shall be respected whatever the value of each plug ins, With respect to whatever the interest behind the Obs 28 that only support QT6, QT5 must be the one to be use, so that All prior plugins of obs from a different programmer will work and not be discriminated

Obs 28 beta states that

Additionally, many third-party plugins that depend on legacy Qt5 components may not work until they are updated!

QUESTION - What if the creator of such plugin that defend on legacy QT5 components cannot update their plugin due to a disability or other serious reason? does his/her officially released plugin still able to work on obs 28 without updating?

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
There shouldn't be any important components that are in Qt5 but aren't present in Qt6. We have to update to Qt6 otherwise we'll be continuing to use a version of Qt that isn't updated, and won't have support for new operating system versions and updates. In the past year or two there have been important fixes that we had to keep backporting that are fixed in Qt6 that aren't in Qt5. And now there are major operating system changes, such as support for Windows 11, support for latest macOS versions, and support for Apple Silicon. This is not something that we can control. We cannot just keep using an older Qt version just because some plugin author is unable to update a plugin to Qt6. While I sympathize with these sort of situations, we have to draw a line at some point and make the judgment call to upgrade our toolkit at some point. We cannot just keep delaying it indefinitely.

If a plugin author has some sort of issue that is preventing them from being able to update their plugin, they or at least one of their users should contact us as soon as possible and we will see if we can assist them in helping them get support for Qt6.

Qt5 stopped major development almost two years ago. Again, this is not something we control. We have to upgrade at some point.

I do believed that obs studio is famous enough for every computer user, Any future operating system owner has the prerogative to support the prior version to be worked in their operating system, To avoid abandonment, it would be proper to maintain the integrity, functionality of prior obs studio and plugins on the current supported operating system instead of supporting forward their future OS. which may evenly caused the abandonment of the current and prior obs studio as well as plugins.

Anyway, all we can do is to pray that obs 25 to 27 and current plugins will still perpectly work in their future OS. especially in windows 12, 13 or higher

Thank you for responsible reply.

What if the plugin creator are already dead and he/she has no representative to contact you as soon as possible?

Would his/her officially released plugins works in obs 28 without his participation? or without his consent or authority you will consider his /her plugin to be updated to Qt6

Fenrir

Forum Admin
By the very nature of open source, if a plugin or tool is vital enough, someone will be able to pick it up and make the necessary changes. There is nothing that says the original author needs to be the one to do the work. Your argument contains a multitude of fallacies and ignorance on how open source, or just general software development works. This was not a light decision, and we've already taken appropriate steps to prevent everything you've mentioned as a concern.

Put simply, it isn't a big deal at all, to end users or developers. The tools will remain always available. Even if for some reason a plugin doesn't update (which is, again, extremely unlikely that something will get stuck), you can always use an older version of OBS to maintain that compatibility.

Not a big deal technically because they are allowed to update their plugins to the latest Ui framework , but in a logical sense, the shifting from QT5 to QT6 may cause indirect elimination or abandonment of the current and existing officially released plugins, for the instance when the original plugin or tool author cannot coordinate for some serious reason, i understand that such plugins may be re-update/modify by other author since we are in open source, but the point is that the original plugins/tool created by the original author will be left behind and will work only in obs 27 below if they cannot update to the latest Qt6!

Anyway thank you for enlightening me, i hope the best for end user and developers.

Suslik V

Long story short: obs never kept backward compatibility for the plugins. There were no agreement on version check, order of loading and predictable UI changes and so on. Each new release, usually made old plugins crash the program or not work as intended. Thus, plugins recompile almost always required. Update to Qt6 I see as less from all the evils here. It will be even better if old (Qt5) plugins all will fail to load in new OBS (Qt6).

Unfortunately, the v28.0.0 of OBS will not make significant leap into the plugins load/unload mechanism, so be ready for at least one more wave of crashes and program hangs that the developers are not aware of (yet) for the v28+ (my own prediction, crossed fingers).