PTZ camera control

evpkris

Is there a way to control PTZ cameras that aren't from PTZOptics? I tried downloading their OBS plugin and it caused my OBS occurrence to to no longer function.

SPNC

I’m looking for the same answer, I’m using an Avipas HDMI / Ethernet but don’t want the latency of rtsp I have the vista controls which can give me presets but there are times that I might need to move the cameras.

Lawrence_SoCal

Is there a way to control PTZ cameras that aren't from PTZOptics?
Yes, but you need to be more specific

I have a Panasonic NDI PTZ camera, and use their Virtual USB driver (I don't use the NDI plugin)
Then there are the cheap IP security cameras (whose movement, optical clarity, lack of image stabilization, etc. mean you are getting what you pay for... which may be plenty, which is why I'm looking to get a 2nd camera that isn't US$2K and will suffice for B camera angle type stuff)

And then there are the various protocols.. NDI for upper end systems, ONVIF, RTSP, etc
Win10 native can connect to RTSP (as long as no username/pwd required... stupid M$.. though workaround available for that, apparently)
And there are numerous 3rd party apps to connect to various devices, depending on protocol support, and make those appear like a USB connected device (ie virtual USB camera)
one thing to be attentive to is matching the latency across your cameras or you'll have audio sync problems (and some s/w can vary greatly in this regards)

And then there are the older HDMI and SDI PTZ cameras, that have their own, other methods of remote control (including Serial interface)

@SPNC - did you mean Sony's VISCA over IP PTZ protocol/standard (also available on many other mfg devices)
And then there are the very nice (and usually expensive) PTZ camera control boards with joystick

blackknight

I’m looking for the same answer, I’m using an Avipas HDMI / Ethernet but don’t want the latency of rtsp I have the vista controls which can give me presets but there are times that I might need to move the cameras.

I also have AviPas PTZ Cameras and want to use the PTZ Optics software, but apparently it only works with PTZ Brands. I'm still searching as the web interface on the cameras is just too cumbersome to try and recall memory scenes during a live production.

Lawrence_SoCal

PTZ Optics software, but apparently it only works with PTZ Brands.

Not true. During one of their announcement live streams, I specifically asked and they support the VISCA protocol, if I remember correctly. It was specifically NOT tied to PTZ Optics' cameras, though the nature of the protocols means not everything available on all devices, like presets, etc. that is - the cameras have more controls than the open interface lists... so PTZ Optics's plug-in uses the industry standard for camera movement, etc, but some features would only work for their devices (as is reasonable).

Cheap IP Security cameras typically don't do the firmware work to support such protocols

Last edited:

SPNC

I also have AviPas PTZ Cameras and want to use the PTZ Optics software, but apparently it only works with PTZ Brands. I'm still searching as the web interface on the cameras is just too cumbersome to try and recall memory scenes during a live production.
I have done a lot of work in the past few weeks and have found a few, temporary fixes that have actually worked out very well. I have downloaded the visca control for obs and have currently 11 preset scenes on my one camera. I have made adjustments to the speed of the zoom and pan and tilt speed to cover a scene swap in about 1.5 seconds. I also just added transition table 0.1.5 and have overrides for each scene transition using different timing and a fade to color transition with the Peak color set to 32%. By adjusting the length of the transition I am able to make a fairly smooth transition from any preset to another. I does take some patience and trial and error but I am happy with the results, on a budget. It will be better when I add another camera to the mix.