Problems with Webcam Capture after new Video Card

zachwhalen

Hi,
I've been using OBS to record and post videos for a while, and I recently upgraded my video card (from this one to this one). With the old card, webcam capture would sometimes fall behind the audio, but it stayed smooth. After putting in the new card, games play great now, but video captured from my webcam is jerky, and laggy with video going in and out of sync with audio. You can see it in this video I recorded to demonstrate the problem. The behavior only appears when I'm streaming or recording. Otherwise it looks perfectly fine in OBS's preview.

I have not experienced this in any other software that interacts with the webcam. Specifically, I've tried Zoom and Whereby, which both worked normally, so I think the issue may lie in how OBS handling the video encoding.

Here is my most recent OBS log file.
and
Here is my system info. (Linux Mint)

Here's a list of things I've tried:
- switching the GPU driver. The same behavior appears on both nouveau and nvidia's proprietary driver
- lowering the base resolution to match the output resolution
- lowering the resolution of the webcam's video
- disabling OBS's preview when recording
- running the auto-configuration wizard
- changing the encoding from hardware (NVENC) to software
- changing the recording quality and recording formats

Is there anything else I should try?

zachwhalen

Just a brief update. I've upgraded OBS Studio from 26.0.2 to 26.1.0, but the problem persists. If anything, it might be worse.

zachwhalen

Well, I returned the Nvidia card and got something better (Radeon RX 570). I also upgraded Linux Mint to the latest version, which seems to have resolved some other problems. /shrug