Problems with kps and dropped streaming

St. Nick's

Even when the speed test shows and upload speed of 8.5mbps, obs usually shows and upload of 1500 kps. This typically crashes down to zero periodically and causes our facebook live to be disconnected. Obs often shows that the kps drops into the 500's as well and I get a lot of dropped frames. I'm using a bitrate of 1500. I would like to be able to stream at 2500 in 720p or 1080p. I don't think that my internet is too slow. Is it? Is it my computer? I"m using a macbook pro that is about a year old. I have a usb sound board and three video cameras via hdmi/usb video capture cards.

Lawrence_SoCal

Speed test show a highly optimistic, very time limited upload rate.... which is at best only slightly related to your need for consistent, sustained upload throughput. You need to do other tests to see your sustained upload capacity
And realize other devices on your network can consume that bandwidth... is the OBS PC the ONLY device on the network, connected to the Internet [no, right, smart devices, smartphones/tablets, etc? right...]

Oh, and you aren't using WiFi are you? if yes, start there (as in troubleshoot by NOT using WiFi... or may sure you or close to access point, with no other WiFI device within 300ft... can't do that? do you know how to monitor WiFi channel utilization and interference patterns?
No? refer back to recommendation #1 don't use WiFi (with USB->Ethernet adapter, you don't have to)
And then are you monitoring the OBS computer to make sure it isn't overwhelmed. real-time video encoding is VERY computationally demanding. your problem could be an under-powered computer (or not). And then monitoring the network for utilization.

St. Nick's

Thanks Lawrence,
The modem is in the rectory and I tested the laptop streaming directly to the modem via cat5 and the results were the same as the beamed in wifi to cat5 in the church building where we are live streaming. In the rectory, connected directly, upload speed at 8.5 and obs shows and average of 1600 kps upload speed .... just the same speed as in the church building.

No one else is on the wifi

Any ideas?

twindux

Your computer should be plenty capable of sending out a proper stream given the inputs you've discussed. I use a lesser computer and send out 1080p SO a couple things to try.

1. In SETTINGS>OUTPUT make sure you're using ADVANCED mode and HARDWARE encoder
2. If you've got bandwidth constraints, I'd suggest 1080x720 as your canvas. Make sure both the canvas and the output are at that size.
3. Set your bitrate to 2500 kb/s to start, then increase incrementally. 4000kbps is the top end needed for 720p streaming (YouTube live)
4. If any of your video capture devices offer a "use hardware encoding" option in the preferences, use it.

One thing I've noticed is if I sit on a black screen or even a static image for awhile then switch to a video capture source, OBS will basically cease sending bits. I have to stop/restart the stream. The same thing does NOT happen if I go from static or black to a OBS iPhone Camera source. I could probably troubleshoot it further, but am too lazy...so I just workaround it. While OBS flags it as a bandwidth issue, it's not really.

Most importantly...I NEVER USE WIFI to stream. If there's any way to get a wire to your computer, that's the ticket. For one stream when we did an outdoors service, I ran 200' of wire out a window from a LAN port to where I was streaming.

St. Nick's

Thanks Twindux,

So if I change the settings to hardware encoder. I am currently using 1080 x 720 canvas. That should be enough to boost me from 1600 kps upload to 2500 plus?

twindux

Easily.
Thanks Twindux,

So if I change the settings to hardware encoder. I am currently using 1080 x 720 canvas. That should be enough to boost me from 1600 kps upload to 2500 plus?
In my experience, yes. but your milleage may vary due to your bandwidth or network issues.
I cannot stress enough...try to wire your computer to the network rather than WIFI. I have nothing but trouble with trying to stream over wifi

I forgot to upload my screenshots....see below. I use 6000 kb/s and 1920x1800p, but I have much better upload speed than you do. I've adjusted them as a place for you to start

Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 1.43.07 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-04-13 at 1.42.48 PM.jpg

Lawrence_SoCal

Without getting into a really long dissertation on WiFi, realize that the latest WiFi 6, when only WiFi 6 clients on network, greatly improves things. Even with some recent WiFi versions, WiFi is/was essentially like a walkie-talkie, and will unbelievably slow down sustained traffic. People say, "but WiFI streaming video at home works" and have no idea what buffering is in place to enable that, and that such buffering to overcome WiFi's nature isn't available for livestreaming (with data traffic heading in the opposite direction and the network not designed for equal priority and capability in traffic direction)

And if Upload speed test shows 8.5mb/s but you can only get 1.6mb/s upload via OBS either
- something else is consuming that upload bandwidth (could be anything, not just WiFi)
- or you PC is the constraint (could be too old/slow, or its settings, or your OBS settings, or other software running that is interfering)
- or that 8.5mb/s is only to a local server, and not your ISP's actual sustained traffic ability to your stream platform

Per pinned post in this and the other support forums

Last edited: