Problem with sound

PolakPL2002

Hi, I have pretty weird issue. The sound that is played on stream and recording is really chopped like it's dropping samples, but on audio monitor it's not that bad (still every other second it sounds like sample dropping, but not constantly like on the output). There was 0.0% of render dropped frames and 0.1% of encoder dropped frames (during 1.5h stream/recording). I stopped streaming after 20 minutes, but continued recording for another 70 minutes, but nothing has changed. The usual sound route was: X32 (digital mixer, via USB to PC (ASIO input plugin)) -> VST plugin (disabled for troubleshooting) -> output and monitor. The weirdest thing about it is that it starts about 10 minutes after start of stream/recording and affects actual output much more than monitor. It didn't happen before sunday. CPU usage ~60%. It happened again on monday after complete system reboot. Is it common issue or something specific?

Sample (from around 4 seconds mark) https://youtu.be/CfuLCEV6Bzc
Log: https://obsproject.com/logs/ZenxhPrlcjt6btQC (LGX2-1 audio is not used)

Last edited:

Tacoman98337

Make sure you separate audio output sources for different audio. For instance, have game audio be one audio output source, and make background music have a separate audio output source. Also, if that has nothing to do with it, try changing the audio encoder. If neither of these solutions work, please reply to this. Hoped this helped!

Lawrence_SoCal

Is your PC have the throughput on disk I/O to handle clean recording? Do you have any software that might interfere/slow that disk writing process?
Is Game DVR on for a reason?

PolakPL2002

Is your PC have the throughput on disk I/O to handle clean recording? Do you have any software that might interfere/slow that disk writing process?
Is Game DVR on for a reason?
Disk isn't a problem, it has relatively low activity when recording (40-50%, recording bitrate is set to CBR 30Mbps). I didn't check Game DVR. I don't think it's on because we don't stream any game (or other game-like app, we stream live video from cameras).

Make sure you separate audio output sources for different audio. For instance, have game audio be one audio output source, and make background music have a separate audio output source. Also, if that has nothing to do with it, try changing the audio encoder. If neither of these solutions work, please reply to this. Hoped this helped!
As we have external digital mixer I have only 1 audio input in OBS that isn't muted. Audio settings are default, except for bitrate which is 160 kbps for live and 320 kbps for recording.

PolakPL2002

I asked as your log shows Win10 Game DVR is on...
Oh, thanks for noticing. I'll turn it off as soon as I will have access to that PC. Yet I don't think it's related (but really who knows, windows updates can break a lot of things), because if it's on then it was on for the past year and it's the first time such problem occurs. Thanks anyways.

PolakPL2002

After investigating recent hardware changes I found that if I disconnect HDMI input from one of USB capture cards the issue is not there, so the probable cause is overloaded USB controller. I'll add some external PCI-E USB controllers and see if it helps.

Lawrence_SoCal

Disk isn't a problem, it has relatively low activity when recording (40-50%, recording bitrate is set to CBR 30Mbps).
That seems like a high disk rate to me... but not sure
On a NVMe SSD, alternating playing 4K video and using NDI PTZ 60fps live video input, etc both the OS activity & OBS recording 1080p 30fps and streaming, disk activity is single digit, and often 1-2%