Problem with AVerMedia OBS and a USB hub

Hi. I have a problem that is similar to those being faced elsewhere, but not one that is identical - hence a new thread. If I've missed the right thread with an identical problem, please redirect me.

I'm a new streamer (well, my son is, actually) and we are having a problem with the current setup. We have an AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus capture card, a Logitech C920 webcam and an additional USB microphone, all connected through a powered USB hub into the laptop that is running OBS. In addition to all of this, there is a webcam in the lid of the laptop.

The problem is that the OBS is having trouble showing the game capture and the USB webcam on screen together.
  • When both the Logitech webcam and AVerMedia capture card are plugged into the hub, then only the webcam shows in the scene - the AVerMedia shows as a source but there is no picture, or even a box for where the picture should be in the scene.
  • When the Logitech webcam is unplugged from the hub, then the AVerMedia shows in the scene but the webcam vanishes - the source can be seen in the list, but there is no box on the scene showing where it should be.
  • When the AVerMedia is unplugged from the hub, then it's exactly as with the first item above (no picture, no box).
The second and third bullets above are not of any concern - I'm not expecting to see anything when they are unplugged - I did that just for testing purposes and included it above so that it's a more complete description.

In addition to the tests above, I also opened the Windows camera app, when OBS was closed. The camera app happily cycles through all three sources (two webcams and the game capture), confirming that Windows can see then in isloation.

So the final piece of the mystery is that when either the Logitech webcam or the AVerMedia game capture card is unplugged from the hub and plugged directly into the laptop, everything works in OBS - all sources can be seen. I know that the simple solution is to just connect it that way, but there are two issues with this - one is that I only have limited USB ports and I'm trying to streamline the setup (that's what USB hubs are supposed to do); and the second is that I'm stubbornly inquisitive and I'm not going to be happy until I know what's going wrong.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks