Problem: No Audio Plays in Media Sources in OBS 27.2.0 macOS Monterey 12.2.1

Bill Kochman

Hello. I have a perplexing audio problem which I am unable to resolve. First, my specs:

OBS Studio: 27.2.0
macOS: Monterey 12.2.1
iMac: (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
Device: iPhone Xs Max connected to iMac via USB
Device: Blue Yeti microphone connected via USB

Now to the problem ...

I created a short 13-second video clip using iMovie and other apps which serves as the intro for each of my recorded videos or live streams.

The clip is a short animation with video, audio, my logo, and animated text.

The clip is an mp4 file which I can easily add to OBS as a media source.

The problem is that while the video track plays just fine in OBS, there is NO AUDIO. The audio mixer panel is definitely showing the file playing, and the audio control is turned up all the way in the mixer. Likewise, I have the audio set high on my iMac as well. It is as if the audio portion of the file is being routed elsewhere for some reason.

So, I decided to try to do it a different way. I dropped the mp4 file into VLC and saved it as a playlist. Next, I chose "VLC Video Source" to add the playlist to OBS. That went fine, and the m3u file was added to OBS.

But then the very same problem occurs. That is, the video track plays just fine, but there is no audio.

Growing frustrated, I next used ffWorks to extract the audio track from the clip as a standalone file in three different formats: m4a, mp3 and mp4. OBS doesn't even recognize the m4a file. It is grayed out when I try to add it.

However, adding both the mp3 and mp4 files as media sources was no problem. Yet again, the same problem happens. Even as a standalone audio file, while OBS shows the file being played, there is no audio to be heard.

I have no idea what the problem is. The clip -- audio and video combined -- plays just fine in VLC, as well as in iMovie. Yet for some reason, the audio is being dropped in OBS, and I am clueless as to why this is happening.

To make matters worse, just to test things, I added a few other mp3 files as media sources to OBS to see what would happen. Guess what? They are definitely playing in OBS, because the progress bar advances. BUT, once again, there is NO AUDIO!

I just updated to Monterey 12.2.1 a few hours ago. Whether or not this problem is due to that, or if it was already happening with the previous version of Monterey, I do not know.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, do you know what the solution is? I am still very new to OBS, so maybe I am just missing something.

BTW, everything else in OBS works just fine, and I have already used it to both record videos and to live stream. My Blue Yeti works just great with it, as does my iPhone Xs Max and my Logitech C922 webcam. It is just this one audio problem which is suddenly perplexing me.

So any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

tbenjamin

Have you had a look into the advanced settings for each track? It may well default to a mode where the audio isn’t output even if the track is playing.

Attachments

• 2B5A57C3-5567-4598-B42F-8DFB6147D2C7.png
    2B5A57C3-5567-4598-B42F-8DFB6147D2C7.png
    99.4 KB · Views: 146