Question / Help Preview / live OBS screen not matching up with recorded footage?

Orisa

I was hoping someone who is knowledgeable about colors and the way displays work could help me out:

I just recently got my Elgato game capture card HD, and am having alot of good results with it. I'm using OBS with the default settings, and while the video and audio all come out nice and smooth, I noticed there is one thing that is bothering me that I cannot figure out. If I'm recording a video game from my TV (not streaming any of this, just recording), the preview / in game screens on the OBS while recording colors don't exactly match the video recorded. So for example I finish recording a game play. I'll re-open it up, and compare it to the live feed on OBS itself, and the colors on my video recording are much lighter then what OBS is showing, or even my TV by a bit. Like reds will be lighter, blues, etc. It's not a huge difference, but to me it is noticable.

Does anyone know why this is? Originally I thought it's because my computer overall is older (the monitor is from 2011, and the PC parts are from 2010 - 2014 with a upgraded GPU). This happens no matter what I record, but I've been mainly just doing the Nintendo Switch, NES Classic, and SNES Classic (all HDMI). People were saying it could be my old HD dell monitor, but my big question about that is: Why in the world would the recorded footage look different then what OBS is showing me? Wouldn't the colors match if they are right on the same screen?

Also as a side note, if I upload or send my recorded files to another device like say my 2018 Ipad or newer phone, the colors look much darker and better; more richer. I'm guessing that's just because of the screens. I really just want to know why the recorded footage doesn't match up with the OBS preview live screen itself, and haven't seen an answer on Google for this.

Thank you!

EDIT: sorry I should also mention the Elgato is an external device, so the dell monitor HDMI is plugged into the graphics card on the computer, whlie the capture device is connected on the PC via USB and it's other HDMI cables to the TV and console, if that helps.

Orisa

Guess nobody knows then, figured this would be the place where people could help me out. Ah well, I'll keep trying.

Razz2

I have a similar issue. I have gone to great lengths to get the recording or stream to look the way I want, with lighting and camera settings (Canon 5D4 through a CamLink 4k. The OBS Preview window is much darker and much more saturated, in other words not even close to the recorded or streamed output. I wanted to tweak a few things today, so I created a few LUTs to use - one for my video and one for the guest video of my podcast. Out put and stream is now even better, but the in app preview is almost weirdly off. While I don't care in the sense that I have thouroghly tested the results and know I am happy with it, it makes adjusting these things very difficult - lots of test recordings. I am on regularly calibrated monitors too. BTW. Color settings are where they should be (NV12 / 709 / Partial), and again, all output looks as desired. It's just the preview. Honestly no clue why it's so far off - but I care about the results enough to live with the in app issue.

Muny9

This is happening to me too.... I see this is a Windows support section, but it is also happening on my MacBook Pro. The OBS preview and program are more saturated than the actual output that is being streamed or recorded. The stream/recording looks correct and I’ve confirmed the recordings from OBS are fairly accurate on the waveform and vectorscope in Final Cut (FCPX). It’s like the OBS program is being displayed in the wrong color space or gamma or something. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?