Potential M1 Air purchase for IRL setup (questions from a Mac noob)

TorontoGorilla

I've currently got my IRL GoPro Hero 9 OBS streams working great using a Windows laptop (HP Envy with a Ryzen 4700u, 16GB, Vega 8 graphics) however it requires me to keep the laptop in my backpack which is a bit unsettling since it's running in the low 80's temp wise and the fans are going full tilt. I only do this for 1-2 hours at a time and do leave the top of the backpack unzipped for venting but after seeing how much cooler and quietter the M1's run I'm thinking about getting a Macbook Air M1 as a dedicated IRL streaming computer to sit in my backpack while doing cycling streams.

If I were to take the plunge and get the Mac can anyone tell me if I should be good here.

My setup is as follows:

GoPro Hero 9 Black with media mod over HDMI (audio+video) to 1080P/30 capture card which outputs to the laptop over USB-C (https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07P7QSVXB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) .

Samsung Galaxy S20FE USB tethered to laptop for data with a second Galaxy S20FE wifi hotspotting to laptop and using the speedify app to bond the two connections (it says it supports OSX)... The USB-tethered phone is primary and wifi is secondary (different wireless providers on each phone of course).

OBS streaming to YT at 1080P/30 - 6500 bitrate using capture card as video source

I don't see why this wouldn't work? I can always pick up an Elgato camlink if the capture card doesn't show up in OBS (but why wouldn't it?).

I know laptops are designed to run hot and my HP is probably fine at those temps for how I use it and the 4700u has more than enough horsepower to 1080P/30 stream but... the M1 is just so damn appealing for this use case. Before anyone asks why I don't just stream straight from the GoPro... it looks like hot garbage over RTMP without OBS handling things, also there's no streamlabs alerts, it can't auto-rotate the picture over HDMI (OBS fixes that) and I have a lot more control over the bitrate etc...

If you scroll through the latest post on this forum you can see a number of questions about OBS on M1 Mac. The devs could probably answer best on when there will be a version of OBS that is optimised for M1 but until then using your current windows laptop might be a better option.

TorontoGorilla

Thanks! I recently discovered it runs much cooler if I enable AMD encoding vs. software, I think I'm going to keep the current setup.