Question / Help Poor Audio Quality on Facebook Live

Jeff Gilder

We're just getting started. Using our studio mics and cameras with switcher to broadcast to facedbook live. The video is superb, but the audio quality is poor. Have seen (heard) this same issue when trying to use videos created on ustream on facebook. Anybody have any ideas I can chase to correct this. The audio sounds hollow and tinny.Thanks!

mrmulti

Yes I have been streaming into Facebook Live for about a year , and the quality was very good, but lately, the guitar sounds all reverby tunnelly and distant. I tried everything today.. to no avail, however i have to say that I did trace it to the streaming rather than the recording, which sounds fine to me. It was so bad that i switched to you tube to stream my shows - but i have no audience on youtube. but this also proves that the same settings work just fine on youtube but not in facebook. they must re-encode the stream as it is being sent and they screw it up .. As of yet, i have no clues on how to fix this - i don't think OBS can do anything about it, since it is facebook's problem.

Hungry_Man

I've had the same issue. Just built a music studio in the UK with a view to offering a live stream service for DJs. Have done some test streams on facebook and YouTube (not using OBS) and both have poor sound quality. I set the audio source to be my dj controller/soundcard and what was coming out of my speakers sounded fantastic. The streamed audio sounds to me like low bitrate and heavy lossy compression. The bass and high end is gone so it is probably optimised for voice content - spoken word. I will be testing Twitch next.

Does anyone know if its possible to force fb and yt to use a higher bitrates / different compression algorithm?

My other issue is copyright - I got 15 emails from yt that I had violated the copyright of the owners of the music I played. This is of course correct. I intend to by a PPL license to make my streams legal. Yt have a dispute process which you can use to tell them you have a license to broadcast the music. I wonder if fb have the same.