Pls Help.. First time OBS user!!!

If you have clicked on this thread thank you so much… I really need all the help I could get any insight would be amazing.
I am trying to get my parents old 8mm videos digitalized using OBS… I have all the cords to do it and its recording up until I reach this problem… while I am recording the video, it lags and the screen turns black then takes a while to get the video back (while the actual video on the camera is still playing). essentially, the recording is missing chunks of the actual footage.

I have tried watching so many videos and reading forums but I really don't know any of these terms. I use a MacBook Air 2017 and the OBS system settings that I changed were FPS from 30 to 25 PAL (idk what pal even is)… I changed my video output (scaled) resolution to 768x432 (the one I used before had higher numbers I just don't knwo which ones). I thought all this would help but its not I would really appreciate any help pls!!!!!!!
thank ou so much

Lawrence_SoCal

real-time video encoding is computationally demanding. Is your computer up to it?
You didn't post a log, so I can't tell. Per pinned post in this forum Most likely your OBS settings are too much for your PC.
PAL is european TV standard.
Rescaling takes extra computational effort, so probably not a good idea if mac is overloaded already

Obvious considerations come to mind like make sure everything else unneeded is turned off / not running (so you don't get CPU or RAM contention)

Then there is the general question
- Why use OBS? are you adding titles, transitions, effects, etc? if yes, then OBS makes sense to me.
On the other hand, if just capturing the video stream, OBS may be overkill

real-time video encoding is computationally demanding. Is your computer up to it?
You didn't post a log, so I can't tell. Per pinned post in this forum Most likely your OBS settings are too much for your PC.
PAL is european TV standard.
Rescaling takes extra computational effort, so probably not a good idea if mac is overloaded already

Obvious considerations come to mind like make sure everything else unneeded is turned off / not running (so you don't get CPU or RAM contention)

Then there is the general question
- Why use OBS? are you adding titles, transitions, effects, etc? if yes, then OBS makes sense to me.
On the other hand, if just capturing the video stream, OBS may be overkill
very thankful for your response, it turned out that apparently there was a transition of 300ms that I was unaware of. I am only capturing the video stream and so im wondering what softwares would you recommend?? Thank you again