Question / Help Pixelation with faster movements

Almighti Zeus

Hey guys.. I'm a streamer on Facebook Gaming..

My page: GGG

I'm getting a common issue I have yet to find a solution on the internet for.. and that is when I make faster movements in Call of Duty I get some pixelation.

Here is the short 30 second clip I'm referring to when I'm live streaming. When I'm not moving... its CRYSTAL clear.. when I make fast motions.. a lot of pixelation and not as crisp for a few seconds.. What's really frustration is I just got a brand new beast computer and there's no reason my stream shouldn't be buttery quality throughout the whole thing.

Clip Here <------- We were acting like undercover Noobs with randoms lol.

Here are the specs to my new rig & Streaming

Intel i9 - 9700k 3.6 GHz
RTX 2070 8GB
16 GB DDR4 Ram
1000 GB SSD

Elgato HD60s to capture... I play off my PS4 Pro

Again a pretty beastly build.. so I don't understand why my streams shouldn't be perfect and buttery. I also cranked the bitrate to 10-12k and I'm still getting the same pixelation.. after much research that is what I see what most say my issue is.. bitrate. But does that mean I need to go over 15k to get the perfect smooth stream I'm talking about? I've tried switching back and forth between NVENC & x264 and same issue. I've tried switching CPU to Fast / Medium... I just can't seem to find a solution. What I don't understand is I see streamers with less quality than me not have any pixelation when moving fast on COD.. so I just don't know what the issue is...

My internet speeds: 1 GB Download / 40 Mbps Upload

Here are my OBS settings (Currently after that clip):

Output.PNG

Stream.PNG
Elgato.PNG

Last edited:

Narcogen

The reason you see streamers have less quality but no pixellation is because that's the tradeoff they have selected.

By selecting 1080p60 and a bitrate of 10000 with NVENC, you've set the limits on how much time and bandwidth you have to produce frames.

Specifying 60fps gives your encoder half the time to encode a frame. A frame with a lot of motion that needs to be encoded quickly will produce artifacts.

For instance, if you switch to 720p30 with all other settings the same, does the pixellation go away?

What about 1080p30 or 720p60? Either would give better quality at a given bitrate.

Agamemnus

@Narcogen is right as usual, but I'm suspicious that it's so bad, on the hardware you have. I personally use very similar settings on the same graphics card and mine looks great. It's not PERFECT, but yours is pixelating savagely. 4 suggestions to try:

1 - Change the level to 4.2 and the keyframe interval to 0. If that doesn't work, try Profile=Main, Level=Auto, B-Frames=4. That's what I use.
2 - 8Mbps instead of 10Mbps. The exact way that you have it setup you should still get a fairly amazing picture, it would be interesting to see if it changes your motion problems. Again, I do mine at 6Mbps and it looks better. I honestly don't know what's the go here.
3 - The elgato video source. Are you able to change the Format to anything other than "Any" ? There's a chance that it's encoding the video before it comes to your OBS, in which case, it could be causing your issue, not your PC. If it has an MP4 or H.264 format, change off that to something like YUYV or MJPEG or RGB. See if that affects it.
4 - Turn on "enforce streaming service encoder settings". There's a chance that your video is going through just fine, but Facebook doesn't like the settings, and is transcoding it on the fly. Transcoding an already encoded video is evil for quality, but they have their reasons. You can double check this by going to the recording tab and telling it to use the SAME settings as the stream, recording a bit and seeing if it has the same problems.

Please post back here to confirm, I don't have an HD60 I can test myself :(

Thechairman

Its Facebook, happens to me too when streaming 60 fps ( 720/1080). Must be because Im not a popular streamer, roughly have 200 followers, did a test with same specs on twitch and I get better quality