Picture in Picture capture?

Mikey23

I've just started using OBS as Gamebar is not available on Linux, but I seem to be struggling to set it up the same way;

Is there no quick way to screen record without setting up sources, scenes, and picking a monitor for every single recording? I just want to record what's on screen. I'm also finding any shortcut keys only work when you are already in OBS and moving out of the app stops the shortcuts working?

I need to change windows a lot so as unreliable as gamebar was it was at least great for quickly pressing the record shortcut and capturing the screen then recording my second screen etc etc.

AaronD

Sounds to me like it's not saving itself like it's supposed to. Did you do any kind of special configuration, in OBS or Linux either one, including what you played with at one time and forgot is still there?

For the hotkeys, there's this:
1692984736322.png

But if it's not saving like it's supposed to, this might not stick either.

Mikey23

Sounds to me like it's not saving itself like it's supposed to. Did you do any kind of special configuration, in OBS or Linux either one, including what you played with at one time and forgot is still there?

For the hotkeys, there's this:
View attachment 97063
But if it's not saving like it's supposed to, this might not stick either.
I think that's the opposite of what I want. I want to be able to use hotkeys when the window/app is hidden, but it seems they only work when it's in focus - at which point I might as well press the start button. I've got it set to never disable hotkeys. Not sure that's working as intended.

The sources thing is also a pain. I appreciate gamebar was easily built-in since it's also an MS product but it was really easy to start and stop with hotkeys, and I could select which window I wanted to record on the fly.
It's possible it just isn't suited for my use case.