Performance issues recording in 8K with NVENC

Pascal Parvex

Here is the log from the last try to record No Man's Sky with OBS with the ffMPEG plugin in 8K:

Log file

Recording could not be done due to memory issues(?).

I would like to record gameplay with NVENC hardware encoding in 8K (7680 x 4320 resolution). What are the exact settings to use for a smooth experience? You can watch a sample from a previous try here:
49 seconds of No Man's sky in 8K with heavy stutter on Youtube

Recording often crashes or does not work, above footage is the only one I was successfull in getting. How do I make sure the GPU is encoding, and not the CPU?

System specs:
Ryzen 3700X
2080 Ti
32 GB RAM
Samsung 970 Plus 1 GB
LG 75SM9900PLA over HDMI @8K30

Thank you.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Your log only shows you opening and closing OBS with no recording attempt. You probably want to be using NVENC New rather than ffmpeg.

qhobbes

Settings --> Output --> Streaming/Recording tab --> Encoder. On the Recording tab, set the Type to Standard.

You need to add a source to your scene such as Game Capture. Use the [+] in the Sources box.

Run OBS as Admin.

koala

As far as I see it, it's not possible to record 8k with simple or advanced output mode with nvenc, because this will use the h.264 nvenc encoder, which only supports resolutions up to 4096x4096. With your output resolution of 7680x4320, you actually need ffmpeg output and use the h.265 nvenc encoder, which supports resolutions up to 8096x8096 according to https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-video-codec-sdk#NVENCFeatures