Question / Help Performance Drops

YoshiTheFox

Alright, so as of recently I've downloaded OBS Multi-Platform on my PC. I'm trying to make it to where I can play other games such as Shadow of Mordor or CS:GO with at least over 30 fps and record. The trouble, however, is that I'm experiencing quite a bit of lag on those games. Minecraft, though, is almost lagless with my current settings in OBS. (Yeah, I know, Minecraft isn't as intensive.) I would think my CPU just isn't keeping up generally, but I see other people with the same CPU and a worse GPU than what I have able to record those games at a decent fps. I'm curious as to if there is any possible way I'd be able to get it to not lag as much with OBS? If I were to be on Windows, I could use the NVENC option; however, being that I'm on Linux, that is not the case. Is there a way to get that up and running?

Here are my system specs as well as my OS.

CPU: i3 4150 @3.5GHz

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary

Ram: 8GB Kingston Fury HyperX Black @1866MHz

HDD: 160GB WD Caviar Blue 5400RPM (This thing is extremely old as of right now. Upgrading to a 1TB here soon. Wondering if that would help much. This was just a spare I had lying around.)

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 960 G1 Gaming

Case: Lian Li PC-50 (A case that was sitting in my garage. Works pretty well for me
smile.png
)

PSU: EVGA 500w W1

OS: Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (Planning to dual-boot soon mainly for Battlefront 3)

Using MP4, 3000 bitrate, no custom buffer size nor cbr, crf 15, ultrafast, high profile, x264 options set at qp=0, 30 fps, bilinear filter, l444 color format, 709 YUV color space and partial YUV color range.

I would just post pics but they're not working :/.

Any advice/help is appreciated!

YoshiTheFox

YoshiTheFox

https://www.dropbox.com/s/suo2qdn5tu6rfo9/Screenshot 2015-10-16 14.18.04.png?dl=0

Match up the x264 settings to this. The recording format and audio tracks should be flv or mkv if you're using single audio and mkv only if you're using multiple track audio.
I did some more testing, and with those settings the frames are amazing now; however, not so much on other games such as Shadow of Mordor. It runs well but gets major lag spikes, and it seems that, even though Minecraft runs amazingly with those settings, Minecraft has major lag spikes pretty often as well. I'm honestly wonder if it's my HDD just not keeping up, as it's a pretty old 160GB Blue drive of some sort. I know it'll never be perfect with the CPU I have, but, as I said earlier, other people with this i3 seem to get decent frames when recording.

Last edited: