Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-300/330 and mp4 stream adaptor

HMartins

Hi.

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-300 (330 in some markets). This camera has a HDMI output but no streaming.

There are some adapters able to convert HDMI out to USB3 mp4 stream (as much as I understand) like Elgato, Mypin, Razer Ripsaw HD, AverMedia etc. There are also some very cheap devices whose output quality seems to be very poor (according to some Youtube videos).

Has anyone some experience on these matters with this camera?

Having a loop output could be interesting.

This camera can make 4K 30fps but I just need FullHD 60FPS progressive scan. May be I can save some cash.

Thanks
H. Martins

FerretBomb

DSLRs are not generally meant to be used as webcams. This is what a capture device is for/does. You will need one.
A few cameras DO offer preview over USB, but the quality is always terrible compared to a proper HDMI output into a capture device.

I would recommend first plugging the camera into a TV to check what it outputs over HDMI. Some will 'bake in' the on-screen display, rendering them less useful, and requiring cropping the image to cut off the informational elements.

If you want 1080p60 video, make CERTAIN that the capture device is USB 3.0 (or internal PCIe). USB 2.0 does not have the bandwidth necessary to transfer even 1080p30 (uncompressed).
Expect to spend between $100-200 USD to get a capture device of decent quality, like the Elgato Camlink, or HD60S. With capture devices, you generally get what you pay for. Cheaping out means buying twice.